Samsung has finally started rolling out its latest Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA update with build number G900HXXU1BOA7 to its flagship smartphone, the Exynos-powered Galaxy S5 (SM-G900H), following a similar update being rolled out to its Snapdragon counterpart, just a few weeks ago.
The new G900HXXU1BOA7 Lollipop firmware is being rolled out in phases and hence it may take some time before it will be made available in your country or region.
Galaxy S5 SM-G900H users in Kazakhstan can now access OTA update directly via Settings > System > About device > Software update or alternatively use Samsung KIES to download the update manually.
As the OTA update is currently limited to Kazakhstan, the Galaxy S5 users in other regions can go ahead and install the update manually, using the step-by-step guide provided below.
Some of the noteworthy features ported into the G900HXXU1BOA7 stock firmware include redesigned user interface, Material-Design inspired stock or native apps (dialler, messaging, clock, settings, etc.,) improved performance and stability, enhanced fingerprint recognition, heads-up notifications, and more.
Android 5.0 Lollipop G900HXXU1BOA7 Firmware Details
Model name: GALAXY S5
Version: Android 5.0
Build date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 02:47:20 +0000
Product Code: SKZ
IBTimes UK reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the Android 5.0 firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
1. Install necessary USB Drivers for Galaxy S5 (Exynos) SM-G900H on the computer.
2. USB Debugging Mode should be enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Back up your important data to avoid potential data loss during firmware installation.
4. Ensure the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to any specific carrier).
5. Verify Galaxy S5 LTE has at least 80% battery charge.
6. The Android 5.0 G900HXXU1BOA7 firmware is compatible with Galaxy S5 (SM-G900H) only. Do not attempt installing it on incorrect variants as it may brick the device. Verify the model number of the Galaxy S5 by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
Steps to Install Android 5.0 Lollipop Build XXU1BOA7 on Galaxy S5 SM-G900H
Step 1 - Download Android 5.0 G900HXXU1BOA7 for Galaxy S5 to computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v3.09 which is needed to install Android 5.0 on Galaxy S5 G900H.
Step 3 - Power OFF the phone and boot it into Download Mode. Press and hold the Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap Power button till the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit Power again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect your phone to it while your phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes turns yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This process might take some time, so leave the device connected to the computer.
Step 6 - Choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on your phone, which can be found from the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click on AP button and choose the file named AP.
- Tap CP button and select the file named MODEM.
- Hit CSC and select file named CSC.
- Click on PIT and select the .pit file.
- Tap BL button and select file named 'BL'. Ignore the last four steps, if the files do not exist.
If you are using an older version of ODIN for flashing the firmware then check out the abbreviations to the old name format. Do note that only file name changes, the functionality and back end process remains the same.
- AP = PDA
- BL = Boot Loader
- CP = Modem
Step 7 - In ODIN, select Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, Re-Partition option must be checked ONLY if you chose a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 8 - Click Start button in ODIN and the installation process will begin. It may take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the installation is done, your phone will reboot. When the homescreen boots-up, disconnect your phone from the computer.
Your Galaxy S5 is now successfully updated to Android 5.0 build G900HXXU1BOA7 official firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware installed.