Verizon is re-seeding the Google Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update, for Samsung Galaxy S5 users who have subscribed to its wireless network services in the US.
The carrier had launched the Android Lollipop OS firmware update (to Galaxy S5 users) earlier in February, but pulled it down due to unknown reasons.
Now, according to a SamMobile report, Verizon has re-released the Android Lollipop update and it looks like the firmware upgrade seems imminent for Galaxy S5 users.
The SamMobile claims that Verizon's Galaxy S5 users who have not updated the earlier build can check for the new Lollipop software bearing build number G900VVRU1BOA4 and G900VVRU1BOA8.
The build number for the earlier Android Lollipop update was G900VVRU1BNLC.
As per an official Verizon document, users can also check for a newer Android Lollipop update bearing build number G900VVRU1BOC4.
If you are a Galaxy S5 users and have received the latest Android Lollipop update, do let know about it in our comments section below.
What's new with the 5.0 Lollipop update?
SamMobile hints at two distinct features included in the latest release; The Download Booster and a brand new Interruptions feature, which can be activated by reducing the volume on the smartphone. This feature helps users block calls as per their convenience.
Conventional list of features brought along by Android Lollipop OS update, for Verizon-driven Samsung Galaxy S5:
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-Views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by material design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
Download and installation of Android Lollipop OS update:
The Android Lollipop OS firmware update will be available via OTA, but if you have not received a notification as yet, you can check for it manually by following the steps below:
- From the home screen of your devices, tap the Menu Key > Settings > About Phone > Software updates > Check for updates
- Select Download Now
- When download is complete, a screen will appear informing you that the new version of software is ready to be installed. Select Install Now
- The device will power down and power back on. A screen will appear indicating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK
Installation of server-initiated OTA update:
- After new software is available for your smartphones, it will automatically start downloading in the background. After download completes, you will be notified about installation. Tap Install Now.
- Your Samsung Galaxy S5 will power down and power back on. A screen will appear stating that the installation has been completed, tap OK. To check the current software version, navigate to Home screen > Menu > Settings > About Phone.
The latest roll-out will be applicable only to users of Verizon Galaxy S5 who have not been seeded the Lollipop update until now. Users who have installed the earlier Lollipop build will not be eligible to install the latest update.