dublin bomb
The bomb went off at around 11pm on Long Lane, Dublin @poloBoy/Twitter

A bomber who injured himself after his device went off too soon may have forgotten about the clocks changing for Daylight Saving, according to reports.

Police in Dublin are said to be waiting to interview a man who was admitted to hospital with injuries to his face and upper body following the explosion in Long Lane on 30 March.

The suspect was seen fleeing the area with "blood dripping down his face" after the explosive device planted under a Volvo SUV went off too early.

Police were appealing for the taxi driver who drove the injured man to Mater Hospital to come forward. No one else was hurt in the explosion.

It has been suggested that the suspect accidently injured himself in the explosion because he forgot to set his watch forward on the morning of the attack.

A senior source told the Mirror: "This certainly was a high-grade explosive used in this bomb. It wasn't garbage stuff.

"It would appear the bomber got his timings wrong.

"It could be a case where he didn't put his watch forward on Sunday [at 1am] and the timer went off too soon.

"However, it is more likely he didn't realise just how powerful the explosives would be.

"If anyone had been in the car or walking near it at the time then they would have been killed."

Gardai were doubtful that the bomber had terrrorist connections and said instead the incident was likely to involve criminal gangs.

The owner of the SUV, a local business owner, has declined comment when contacted by the media.

Supt Dave Taylor said the consequences of the explosion could have been "very, very serious".

"It was a very extensive explosion and it was a very frightening experience for the people on Long Lane," he said.

"We are appealing for anyone who might have picked up a person in the New Street and Clanbrassil Street area shortly after 11pm who was quite obviously suffering to come forward.

"It is quite obvious that the car was the object of this attack."