Northern Ireland played a disappointing draw, despite some early promise, against the Faroe Islands a team whose opponents usually ask not "will we win?" but "by how many?".

Northern Ireland's Kyle Lafferty proved to be one of the team's key players after making the first attempt on goal. Lafferty managed a slightly weak header at the goal, following a cross from the right-wing, but the ball was saved by Faroese keeper Jakub Mikkelsen.

Just a few minutes later Lafferty got in another header from another cross, but was once again denied by Mikkelsen.

Northern Ireland continued to dominate, with the Faroese hardly getting a look in even when it came to possession, and Lafferty made yet another attempt, a hard and low shot which went straight to the arms of new-found rival Mikkelsen.

Again Lafferty tested the keeper with an impressive shot from just outside the area. The ball curved towards the top of the goal but was just edged to safety by Mikkelsen.

However it was not all Lafferty and Mikkelsen. The Faroese had a short spell where they offered some danger to Northern Ireland, with Daniel Udsen trying for goal from a free kick, only to miss completely.

Christian Holst had a better attempt for the Faroese, shooting from just outside the penalty area, only to be saved (after an initial fumble) by keeper Maik Taylor.

Taylor was called into action again after Simun Samuelsen tried to score from distance but to no avail.

Northern Ireland then started to re-take the initiative with Niall McGinn crossing to Jonny Evans who shot wide of the mark. Evans tried to make up for it five minutes later with a header, which again missed the target despite being at nearly point blanck range.

Chris Brunt also started to have an impact for Northern Ireland, with a shot at the Faroese goal being blocked and then a dangerous cross that could have been a goal if only Gareth McAuley had been a bit quicker.

The Faroese were the first to get a name in the referee's book, with Jonas Naes getting a yellow after a tackle on Warren Feeney.

At half time the score was 0-0.

When play resumed Northern Ireland continued their attack with Steve Davis sending a good pass through to McGinn who shot the ball straight into the side netting.

Northern Ireland attempted to strengthen their striking team, bringing on David Healy for Warren Feeney.

Healy soon made an attempt with a good low strike from outside the area being denied once again by Mikkelsen.

Lafferty continued his attack with yet another header from a Brunt cross being met by yet another save from Mikkelsen.

Then came the shock. Faroe Islands took the lead after Daniel Udsen passed to Holst who knocked a shot into the goal after defeating the Northern Ireland defence. Far from getting a chance to improve their goal difference, Northern Ireland looked like going to an embarrassing defeat.

The Faroese made another dangerous attempt soon after with Joan Edmundsson being saved by Taylor.

Then came the counterattack with both Baird and Evans making desperate attempts but to no avail. Still with 25 minutes left the Northern Irish had enough time to snatch a draw or win.

Healy made a good attempt after receiving a nice pass from Lafferty, but was blocked yet again, Brunt came in to finish it off but still no goal came against the Faroese who increasingly filled their box with players.

Lafferty again set up a goal chance, this time for Evans who headed the ball over the bar, not his first miss of the night.

The equaliser finally came for Northern Ireland in the 78th minute and deservedly went to Lafferty, who following a quick one-two with Brunt finally defeated Mikkelsen.

Northern Ireland desperately attacked the Faroese, with ball after ball being sent into the Faroese area only to be blocked, saved or hit wide.

No one however could defeat the defense and finish the job.

The final score ended disappointingly at 1-1, giving the Faroe Islands their first point in five games.