Scotland has won their Euro cup qualifier game against Lithuania.

Dominating possession early on, the Scots had the first serious chance with Phil Bardsley knocking a corner over to Christophe Berra, who completely failed to do anything useful with the ball.

Barry Bannan also showed himself capable of annoying the Lithuanians, while Dan Cowie took a nice shot from 18 yards out.

Thirty minutes in and the Scots were having everything their own way until the referee decided not to award a penalty to Bardsley, who claimed he was tripped.

Naismith attempted to get a got clean goal with a header from a Bannan cross, but just sent the ball to the Lithuanian keeper.

Having squandered all their chances thus far fate was merciful to the Scots and gifted them a penalty thanks to a Lithuanian hand ball. Surely the goal would come now?

Surely not. Darren Fletcher took the penalty but the shot was saved by a goal keeper with an un-spellable and un-pronuncable name.

At half time the score remained 0-0.

When play resumed Lithuania started to look at little more dangerous, with Arunas Klimavicius just missing the goal with a free kick from around 20 yards.

Finally however Scotland got the goal they had been searching for, with Steven Naismith knocking a Bannan cross off the post and into the goal. 1-0 to Scotland.

Minutes later James Morrison nearly made it two, but succeeded only in smashing the ball into the keeper.

Again Naismith tried to make something of a Bannan cross, this time heading the cross, but to no avail.

Tomas Denilevicius attempted to equalise for Lithuania but only headed avArvydas Novikovas cross wide of the Scottish goal. Soon after Klimavicius tried for a header with only five minutes to go, yet Scotland maintained their one goal lead.

Lithuania continued to harass the Scots, with Novikovas also nearly salvaging something for the Baltic nation, only for Naismith to attempt a final clincher for Scotland.

With three minutes of added time both teams looked on the edge of glory and disaster but when the final whistle blew it was Scotland that emerged victorious at 1-0.