Galaxy Nexus I9250 can now be updated to a fast and stable Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) custom firmware, with due credit to the release of ParanoidAndroid v3.99 ROM by XDA Recognised Developer, BigBrother1984.
The latest version of ParanoidAndroid ROM brings a host of feature enhancements and bug-fixes over its previous release with support for hybrid user-interface (toggle between tablet and smartphone UI). The hybrid UI engine retains traditional UI functionality such as per app DPI, per app size and per app colour for providing a highly-customisable and unique Jelly Bean experience to the user.
Head over to the official developer source page (check the link below) to know more about features and bug-fixes ported into this ROM.
Key Points to Note
- The ParanoidAndroid 3.99 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the international Galaxy Nexus I9250 modelonly. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device runs Android 4.0 or later) or Settings >Applications> Development (if device runs Android 2.3 or earlier). If device runs Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to bottom of screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM Recovery.
- If device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
- Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purposes only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for nay device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Android 4.3 Jelly Bean via ParanoidAndroid 3.99 ROM
- Connect and Mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer via original USB cable.
- Now, copy the downloaded ParanoidAndroid 3.99 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on phone's SD card.
- Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
- Boot the phone into Bootloader mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power buttons together.
- Follow the onscreen navigation instructions and then selec tBootloader option to enter recovery mode.
- In ClockworkMod recovery, perform a full data wipe task by choosing Wipe Data / Factory Reset. NOTE: Use volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select the desired option in recovery.
- Wait until the wipe process completes and then perform Wipe Cache Partition. Let the process complete and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache from advance option. This will prevent ROM related errors or boot loop issues.
- Once the wipe process is done, return to main recovery menu and click Install Zip from SD card.
- Then select Choose Zip from SD card. Now, locate the Android 4.3 ROM zip file you copied earlier to the phone and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and let the installation begin.
- Repeat the previous step for installing Google Apps as well.
- After Google apps is also installed, choose "+++++Go Back+++++" and tap on reboot system now in the recovery menu. The phone will now reboot automatically and the first boot might take about five minutes to complete. So, do not interrupt the process.
The Galaxy Nexus I9250 is now running on Android 4.3 based ParanoidAndroid 3.99 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
Check out the video tutorial below for further assistance in installing ParanoidAndroid v3.99 ROM on Galaxy Nexus I9250:
Watch the demo video depicting Halo 2.0 magic trick:
[Source: XDA Developers]