England women's hockey team warmed-up for the pivotal pool match against reigning Commonwealth Games gold medalists Australia with a 5-0 thrashing of Malaysia in Glasgow.

First half goals from Ellie Watton and Giselle Ansley were added to by Sophie Bray, Alex Danson's penalty flick and Hollie Wenbb after half time as England secured their second straight win and put Malaysia on the brink of elimination.

Victory works as perfect preparation ahead of the meeting with three-time Commonwealth champions Australia on Monday, a game which will go a long way to deciding who will top pool B.

Australia clinched their third consecutive win of the Games with a 9-0 thrashing of hosts Scotland earlier in the day, with the Hockeyroos having scored 22 unanswered goals in the competition thus far.

Danson said: "I love being the underdog. We've not lost that sense of belief. We'll come out play our game and the result will take care of itself.

"It's going to be about being clinical in our defence and make sure we win our corners. It will be a fast game, there will be lots of counter-attacks.

"They've obviously scored a lot of goals but we've also got a good routine against that. We've also got some goals under our belt so we'll go into the game with confidence."

After edging nervously past Wales in their opening pool B match, England faced Malaysia looking to produce a performance worthy of their tag as outsiders for gold in Glasgow.

England boasted four members of the Great Britain team which won bronze at London 2012 –resting the injured Georgie Twigg - including Danson who broke the deadlock against Wales on the opening day of competition.

And the Reading forward went close three times in the opening 15 minutes, striking the post from a tight angle before being denied by two sprawling saves by Malaysian goalkeeper Farah Ayuni Yahya.

But England, whose women have medaled at every Commonwealth Games in which hockey has been contested, didn't have to wait long to hit the front as Kate Richardson-Walsh's drag flick was deflected home by Watton from close range.

Despite setting a new world record with a 36-0 win over Cambodia in December last year, Malaysia were producing little in the form of an attacking threat, with Nuraini Abdul Rashid becoming an increasingly lone figure up front.

Bray should have taken full advantage of England's dominance in possession by doubling the advantage, but flicked wide when one-on-one with Yahya.

On the brink of the break England did get their second as a clash of sticks brought a penalty corner, which saw Ansley swept home for her 4<sup>th international goal.

The second 35 minutes began much like the first and England all but secured their second pool win as Gray righted the wrongs of her first half miss with a calm finish after Yahya had again kept Malaysia alive.

Though Nicola White was sin-binned for pushing an opponent, England's search of further goals was unrelenting and substitute Susannah Townsend should have added a fourth but inexplicably missed the target.

However, the chances continued to flow and Juliani Mohamad Din's foul on Danson saw a penalty flick awarded, which the 29 year old converted with aplomb before Webb's strike completed England's preparation ahead of a daunting meeting with Australia.