Google has officially confirmed that all Nexus devices will soon receive the touch of Android 4.4 KitKat. There is still no word on which other handsets would support the new Android platform. Nevertheless, HTC One X Plus users can now enjoy the custom version of Android 4.4 firmware, thanks to the release of AOSP ROM by XDA developers following the OTA update leak for the device.
Those who cannot wait for the official Android 4.4 firmware can now install its custom variant via AOSP ROM. As Android Geeks reports, this is a ported version of the stock Android 4.4 firmware and hence it will be similar to the stock firmware that will be rolled out for Nexus devices shortly. In other words, it means you can install pure Android 4.4 firmware on your One X+ without the indulgence of HTC's native components such as Sense UI and other built-in features and apps.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The AOSP ROM and instructions provided in this guide are meant for HTC One X Plus model only. Do not attempt installing the firmware on any other model, as you might end up bricking the device.
- Ensure the device is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery or TWRP installed on it.
- Back up important data and settings on the tablet via one of the custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP to prevent data loss during firmware installation.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Enable USB Debugging mode by navigating to Menu > Settings > Developer Options.
- Download and install the Quick Boot tool from Google Play Store on your phone.
How to Update HTC One X Plus to Android 4.4 KitKat via AOSP ROM
- Connect and mount the HTC One X Plus USB mass storage on computer via USB cable.
- Copy and paste the downloaded AOSP ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
- Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
- Boot the One X Plus into Recovery Mode by running the Quick Boot tool which you downloaded earlier.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and select Recovery from menu options to boot into Recovery mode.
- Before flashing the new ROM do the following steps in CWM recovery:
> wipe data/factory reset
> wipe cache partition
> go to "advanced" and perform wipe dalvik cache
> go to "mounts and storage" and format system
NOTE: Use volume buttons to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in Recovery.
- In CWM recovery, click Install Zip from SD card and select the ROM zip file copied earlier to the phone (repeat this step for installing Google Apps as well). After selecting the ROM file, allow the ROM to be installed on the device. This process may take about five minutes to complete.
- After the installation completes, hit "Go Back" and select Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into the newly installed ROM.
Android 4.4 based AOSP ROM is now successfully installed on your HTC One X Plus. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: Android Geeks]