With everyone expecting the Honda's and the Yamaha's to take top time, it was a pleasant surprise when Aleix Espargaro set the fastest time of the day on the factory Suzuki machine in the second practice session.
Where to Watch Live
The third free practice session (FP3) starts at 8.55am BST, while FP4 begins at 12.30pm BST.
Live coverage of the qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix starts at 1.10pm BST on BT Sport 2 and BT Sport 2 HD. Real-time internet updates are available on MotoGP's official website.
It was Team Suzuki Ecstar's Aleix Espargaro, who set the fastest time of the day with a 1.41'158, which was just under three tenths faster than Honda rider Marc Marquez, who was back on top of the time sheets after a troublesome weekend in Mugello last time around.
The Yamaha's struggled on lap pace throughout the day, with Jorge Lorenzo managing a best time of 1.42'034, which was only good enough for the seventh place. With rain predicted for Saturday, Yamaha teammate Valentino Rossi faces an uphill battle to make it to Q1 after finishing outside the top-10 in FP2.
However, the Spaniard [Lorenzo] looked the best during a race simulation run, when he managed quick laps consistently on old tyres, unlike any other rider, giving plenty of optimism for the race.
Top 10 MotoGP Free Practice 2 Times from Circuit de Cataluna, Barcelona:
1. Aleix Espargaro (ESP) Suzuki 1:41.158
2. Marc Marquez (ESP) Honda 1:41.443
3. Dani Pedrosa (ESP) Honda 1:41.789
4. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) Ducati 1:41.823
5. Maverick Vinales (ESP) Suzuki 1:41.922
6. Andrea Iannone (ITA) Ducati 1:41.938
7. Jorge Lorenzo (ESP) Yamaha 1:42.034
8. Cal Crutchlow (GBR) LCR-Honda 1:42.044
9. Pol Espargaro (ESP) Yamaha 1:42.313
10. Scott Redding (GBR) Estrella Galicia 1:42.354