Real Madrid star Raphael Varane has denied reports in France claiming he is frustrated at the lack of playing time he has been given at the Santiago Bernabeu.
The 21-year-old French centre-back has only started 11 La Liga games this campaign with manager Carlo Ancelotti usually opting to deploy duo Sergio Ramos and Pepe in the heart of his defence.
Despite signing a new deal at the Spanish giants this summer, recent reports claimed Varane was frustrated with the situation and was considering a move away – with both Chelsea and Manchester United monitoring the situation.
Manager Louis van Gaal is said to be looking for a centre-back like the French starlet to fill the void left by the departures of both Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic while Jose Mourinho has always admired the defender.
Having already signed him from Lens in summer 2011 during his time at the Bernabeu, Mourinho recently praised Varane alongside Kurt Zouma and last year even included him in the top three young players to light up during Brazil World Cup.
"Hazard, Neymar and Rafa Varane. I think he is the best young central defender in the world. Already I think he's the best," Mourinho said.
Speculation about his move to the Premier League increased recently when French magazine Surface quoted Varane complaining about the competition with Pepe at Real Madrid, admitting the battle with the Portuguese international "is a bad thing for his future".
However, Varane has now come out and dismissed the comments after helping his side secure a 2-0 victory over Schalke 04 in the first leg of the Champions League last 16 on Wednesday night.
"I never said I shouldn't be competing with Pepe. That's a lie," Varane said. "Even though I want to play, the competition is a good thing and helps me improve."