iPhone 6 Plus Review
Russian woman dies in Moscow after her charging iPhone falls into the bathtub electrocuting her. It still remains unclear why the charger didn't cut out as licensed Apple products are designed to do. IBTimes UK

A Russian woman has died in Moscow after her charging iPhone fell into the bathtub and electrocuted her.

Yevgenia Sviridenko, 24, from the Russian town of Omsk, was found floating in her bathtub by her flatmate on Monday (9 February) evening.

Yaroslav Dubinina, 23, said that after being concerned her flatmate had spent a long time in the bath, she went to check on Sviridenko only to discover her lying pale in the water.

"I opened the door and saw her floating on the water looking really pale. I saw her phone, which was on the charger and at the bottom of the bath. I unplugged it and pulled her out ... her body was still shaking from the shock," said Dubinina.

An ambulance was called to the scene, but emergency services' failed to resuscitate Sviridenko.

Investigation revealed Sviridenko was browsing through VKontakte, the Russian version of Facebook, while lying in the bathtub moments before she died.

It still remains unclear why the charger didn't cut out, as licensed Apple products are designed to do.

Police haven't yet disclosed if the iPhone was a licensed Apple product.

In a similar accident, a 16-year-old girl died in the Bashkortostan republic as she was taking a shower after she took her phone charger into the bathroom.

A regional Investigative Committee spokesperson said the initial tests suggest the girl died from an electric shock, but a complete investigation is still underway, reported The Moscow Times.