Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6810 owners have been able to update to official Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) firmware from Samsung since last month. The XXLPM ROM based Android 4.0.4 ICS update is the latest official update for the 7.7-inch tablet device. However, there is still no word on an official Jelly Bean update for the premium Samsung tablet.
This guide takes you through the procedure to install the XXLPM based Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware using ODIN.
Key Points to Note
- The ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6810 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- As the firmware is based on an official Android 4.0.4 ICS update for Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6810, you will lose root access soon after installing it on your device. You need to root the tablet once again to recover full system access to install root-based third-party apps and tweaks.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of installing this ICS update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Android 4.0.4 XXLPM Firmware Details:
Regions tested/supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for the Galaxy Tab 7.7 to enable connectivity with the computer. Download the latest Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 USB drivers here.
- Verify that the tablet battery charge is at least 85 percent to avoid unexpected battery shutdown, while installing the XXLPM based ICS update.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, critical data and settings (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while performing the firmware update. You may do an automated data backup through Samsung KIES or employ a manual method for more flexible options.
- Make sure that your device is either factory unlocked or unlocked manually and rooted, before proceeding with the ROM installation steps.
How to Install XXLPM Based Android 4.0.4 ICS Update on Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6810
Step 1 - Download Android 4.0.4 ICS XXLPM firmware for Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6810 to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to recover Android 4.0.3 on your Galaxy Tab 7.7.
Step 3 - Power off your tablet and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down, Home and power buttons together, until the Android robot icon and a triangle flashes on the screen. This confirms entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on your computer and connect your tablet to it in Download Mode.
Step 5 - If your tablet connects successfully, one of the ID:COM boxes displays yellow indicator with corresponding COM port number. This step may be time consuming, so leave it alone.
Step 6 - Choose the files to flash/install on your tablet, which are found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click PDA and choose file named 'CODE' from the list.
- Tap on tablet and click file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Tap on CSC and choose file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if such file is unavailable.
- Click on PIT and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of the Re-Partition option, enable it ONLY if you chose a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 8 - Now, click Start in ODIN and the installation process should begin. It may however take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the ROM is installed, your tablet will reboot. When you see the home screen, disconnect your tablet from the computer.
Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 is now successfully updated to Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware. Go to Settings > About tablet to verify the firmware build number on your tablet.
[Source: Team Android]