Ross Barkley
Ross Barkley and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain were both on target in another straightforward England win Getty

England have reached a major tournament finals with a 100% qualifying record for the very first time following a routine 3-0 victory over Lithuania. Ross Barkley and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain were both on target for Roy Hodgson's side on a fast artificial surface at the LFF Stadium in Vilnius, scoring either side of an unfortunate own goal from Watford goalkeeper Giedrius Arlauskis.

Captain Wayne Rooney, Joe Hart, Michael Carrick, Gary Cahill and James Milner were all left behind for the trip to Eastern Europe with qualification for Euro 2016 long since secured, but a relatively inexperienced Three Lions side boasting just 140 caps between them had little trouble in making it 10 competitive wins in succession.

Skippered by Everton centre-back Phil Jagielka, England dominated possession against mediocre opposition but now face far more difficult tests against Spain and tournament hosts France in November before a meeting with world champions Germany early next year.

Kane was the first to test Arlauskis on a bitterly cold night in Lithuania, cutting inside from the left flank and drilling a low shot that was palmed wide. Undettered, the Tottenham striker then drifted out right and received the ball from Lallana before firing another effort that also resulted in a corner.

Jamie Vardy then headed a Lallana cross harmlessly over the top, before Kane once again tried his luck to no avail. Keeping hold of the ball and probing patiently, England finally took the lead just before the half-hour mark after Barkley cut across Mindaugas Panka and saw his hopeful drive cannon off Tomas Mikuckis and into the back of the net via a fortunate nick off the inside of the upright.

Lithuania responded to conceding the opening goal with their first real attack of the night as Lukas Spalvis stole a yard on Phil Jones before seeing a deflected shot diverted behind by a cautious Jack Butland. The hosts fell further behind just seconds after that attack, however, the lively Kane playing a delightful one-two with Lallana that included a lovely dragged backheel from the latter to deceive Georgas Freidgeimas. Not a player who generally requires more than one invitation to let fly, Kane's initial hit found the base of the near post before cruelly rebounding off Arlauskis' back and over the line.

Harry Kane
Harry Kane's 35th-minute strike was rightfully attributed as a Giedrius Arlauskis own goal Getty

A brief sight of goal resulted in Arvydas Novikovas snatching a strike wide, while the former Hearts winger also sliced horribly from distance under little pressure. Eager to make an impression on only his fourth international appearance, in-form Vardy curled an effort far too high and Arlauskis, a summer signing for Watford who has made just one appearance in the Capital One Cup so far this term, was equal to a long-range sighter from Jonjo Shelvey before the break.

England enjoyed a quick start to the second half, causing problems from a set piece and Oxlade-Chamberlain picking out Kane with a cross only for the 22-year-old to be thwarted first by a low save from the goalkeeper and then a fine, last-ditch block courtesy of Freidgeimas. Barkley looked to have added a third goal with a smart header from the resulting corner, but the busy Arlauskis made another good stop.

Oxlade-Chamberlain quickly made it three in emphatic style as he followed up a tame effort that was easily held by latching onto Kyle Walker's defence-splitting pass and lashing home from a tight angle. With half an hour left on the clock, Hodgson introduced U21 regular Danny Ings for his senior international debut and he was the next to try his luck with a right-footed effort after combining well with fellow substitute Dele Alli.

In a somewhat farcical scene, Shelvey and Vardy were both cautioned in quick succession for using their hands to block two free-kicks from close range. Vykintas Slivka eventually got the ball through but his shot was easily dealt with by Butland and England saw out victory in a quiet last 15 minutes that was more akin to a training exercise than a competitive fixture.