Mother's Day is observed on the fourth Sunday of Lent in the United Kingdom. Also known as Mothering Sunday, the day will be celebrated on 6 March this year. Britons will commemorate the day by honouring Virgin Mary, Christ's mother.
However, many other countries, including the US, Canada, India, South Africa, the Philippines, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Japan and many Central and South American and European countries, observe the day on the second Sunday on May. This year the day will fall on 8 May.
Apart from the religious importance, Mother's Day is also celebrated across the UK. Besides spending some love-filled moments, many gift flowers and gifts to their mothers. Mother's Day is the occasion for you to shower your mother with love and gifts and make her feel special.
Spending some genuine love-filled moments with her, cooking her favourite breakfast and gifting her beautiful handmade card with some heartfelt quotes will surely make your mother's day special and give her memories to cherish.
Here are some beautiful quotes from famous personalities you could use on your Mother's Day card to make it extra special.
1. "Hundreds of dewdrops to greet the dawn, Hundreds of bees in the purple clover, Hundreds of butterflies on the lawn, But only one mother the wide world over." — George Cooper
2. "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." — Marcel Proust
3. "A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them." — Victor Hugo
4. "It may be possible to gild pure gold, but who can make his mother more beautiful?" — Mahatma Gandhi
5. "Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away." — Dinah Craik
6. "Never marry a man who hates his mother, because he'll end up hating you." — Jill Bennett
7. "This heart, my own dear mother, bends, With love's true instinct, back to thee!" — Thomas Moore
8. "The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness." —Honore de Balzac, author.
9. "There is nothing in the world of art like the songs mother used to sing." — Billy Sunday
10. "The love of a mother is the veil of a softer light between the heart and the heavenly Father." — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
IBTimes UK wishes its readers a very happy Mother's Day. Here are some top messages to help you express your love to your mother.
1. God has given me a woman that has proven to be
a beautiful mother,
a wonderful wife,
and an amazing friend.
I'm thankful to God
for you being such a blessing in my life.
2. You are a gift from God...
a friend that I can count on
and a wonderful model of a mother!
3. I know you can't resist them.
I know they make you melt.
I know this is the greatest that you may have ever felt.
Those little smiles and sweet moments in time are what make you glad to say,
"That baby is mine!"
4. Mommy's love cannot be replaced.
It's what keeps kids happy and keeps a smile on each face.
It's what we know from the very start.
Mommy's love comes purely from the heart.
5. Mother is an undying love,
A love beyond compare,
the one you take your troubles to,
she is the one who really cares.
Mother you are all of this and more, I love you very much.