The Nexus 4 E960 is among the hot-selling smartphones in the Android market, thanks to its elegant design and appealing build quality.
It is among a select devices to receive a flurry of custom ROM Jelly Bean upgrades, besides a handful of latest official Jelly Bean updates from the device maker. Those who dislike the limitations of the stock ROM will cherish the high customisation capability and exciting features that come with custom ROMs.
With credit to XDA Developers member synergye's codefireX ROM for Nexus 4, users can now enjoy strict aliasing, -O3, Linaro optimisations and many more interesting features. As the ROM is still under development, it may harbour a few untested bugs or broken features. The issues are likely to be fixed in the upcoming updates.
Key Points to Note
- The CodefireX ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are compatible only with the LG Nexus 4 E960 model. It will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid risk of data loss while flashing the CodefireX Jelly Bean ROM on the Nexus 4 E960.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the CodefireX based Jelly Bean update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Verify that your Nexus 4's bootloader is unlocked and the device is rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed on it.
- Make sure that your phone's battery has at least 75 percent charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the CodefireX ROM on the Nexus 4 E960.
- Download CodefireX ROM
- Download GApps Package
How to Install New Jelly Bean Features on Nexus 4 E960 with CodefireX ROM
1. Copy the CodefireX ROM and Google Apps Zip files to root folder on the phone's SD Card.
2. Power off your Nexus 4 and boot into Recovery Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until the device boots into Fastboot Mode. Choose Recovery option.
NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select an option in Recovery.
3. Take a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM. To do so, choose Backup and Restore and click Backup.
4. Perform a full data-wipe as follows:
- Click Wipe Data/Factory Reset and choose Yes to confirm.
- Choose Wipe Cache Partition and click Yes to confirm.
- Tap Advanced, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and click Yes to confirm.
5. Choose Install ZIP from SD Card and click Choose ZIP form SD Card. Finally, select the ROM Zip file that you copied to the phone in step 1 and click Yes to confirm the action.
6. Repeat step 6 to install Google Apps.
7. Hit Go Back and click Reboot System Now.
You have now successfully flashed the codefireX ROM on your LG Nexus 4 E960.
[Source: Android Authority]