West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce remains uncertain over Andy Carroll's future at Upton Park. The 24-year-old is on a season-long loan from Liverpool and the ex-Bolton Wanderers manager believes the England international could regain his form once his future is secure. The London-based club are believed to be set to open negotiations with the Reds and the striker this summer, with regard to the player's future.

Andy Carroll

"You always want a top class centre forward. I know he's been short on goals and he's had a disrupted season, but he'll only get better if he's got a settled future, whether that's with us or not [I don't know]. It would be a long process though. We will have a conversation at the end of the season with Andy and Liverpool," Allardyce explained to talkSPORT and the Alan Brazil Breakfast Show.

The England international joined the Merseyside club from Newcastle United for £35m in 2011 but has failed to live up to the expectations of his price tag. Brendan Rodgers sent the striker on loan to West Ham at the start of the season, as he did not fit into the Northern Irishman's plans for Anfield. Carroll's time with the Hammers has been hit by injuries and his poor form has continued there as well; the 24-year-old has scored only twice in 14 Premier League appearances this season.

Earlier, West Ham's co-owner, David Sullivan, revealed the Hammers had already agreed terms with Liverpool over a summer move for the forward. However, Allardyce has now stressed things could change between now and the end of the season, depending on the player's performances.

"It all depends on how he feels and what he does between now and the end of the season. It's also about where Andy thinks his future lies. He hasn't thought about that yet, he just wants to play as much as he can," the ex-Bolton manager said.

Carroll was also a subject of interest for former club Newcastle in the summer, with more than one failed approach. However, the Chronicle believes Alan Pardew remains interested in bringing the pony-tailed forward back to St James' Park.