Here is today's latest transfer news from Barcelona. The two longest running transfer stories of the summer could be coming to an end. It is reported in the Italian media that Barcelona are 'very close' to signing Udinese winger Alexis Sanchez. Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola is still optimistic about signing Cesc Fabregas this summer but reports in England claim that Xavi's outburst may mean a deal between Arsenal and Fabregas is impossible. Here
The Mail claims that Pep Guardiola still remains confident that a deal can still be agreed between Barcelona and Arsenal for Cesc Fabregas. The transfer story which has run for two years looked like being over when it was reported Cesc Fabregas asked for a transfer but the two clubs have been unable to agree a price for the midfielder.
It has been reported that Arsenal has turned down two bids for the player, one bid of £28m and another at around £31m. Arsene Wenger is desperate to hang on to the player to prevent a mass exodus from the club and has stated that Cesc Fabregas will be staying at the club.
Barcelona has failed in the last two years to tempt Arsenal to sell their captain but Pep Guardiola is confident that the player will join Barcelona this summer. Boss Guardiola said: 'Now the situation about moves for reinforcements is very complicated, but I'm hopeful in the next few days it will become clear. I am always optimistic.'
Fabregas, 24, is not in Malaysia with the rest of the Arsenal squad with Wenger citing a troublesome hamstring problem as the reason he did not travel.
Meanwhile, the Daily Mirror suggests that Barcelona's current bid includes £1 million in respect of the moves to Arsenal of Barcelona youngsters Hector Bellerin and Jon Toral. If so, that is only £300,000 more than the £350,000 per player that Arsenal were expected to pay in compensation to Arsenal.
The two sides are inching towards a deal but there is no doubt that Xavi's comments haven't helped the situation.
The second longest running transfer story of the summer is set to be completed this week as the deal to take Alexis Sanchez to Barcelona looks to have finally be accepted by Udinese. Reports in the Italian media claim that Barcelona has had a £43m bid for the player which will consist of £27m upfront and £16m in add ons, accepted by the Italian side. It was reported on Tuesday that a deal was close but as of yet there has been no confirmation of the deal going through.
Former Chile national coach Marcelo Bielsa believes the deal is set to be completed and was quoted by the Daily Mirror as saying: "He is not a Barcelona player yet, but I believe he will be very soon. He said: 'I'm happy for him and for Barcelona. I think they mix very well, although Alexis would mix well with any club - and even more so at Barcelona.'
Gino Pozzo, son of Udinese owner Giampaolo, had last week said that a deal was close to being agreed.