The Galaxy S2 I9100G is among the most popular Android smartphones in the market today with uninhibited developer attention and a flurry of custom ROM Jelly Bean updates released for the device in recent times. The latest Milestone 3 custom build of CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM (CM10.1) brings a host of new features to the device on a highly stable release.
The CM10.1 M3 ROM is reportedly based on AOSP sources and offers the look and feel of Nexus phone interface, thanks to the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean features ported into the firmware. As this is a custom AOSP release, the firmware installation requires a custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP to be installed on the device.
Key Points to Note
- CyanogenMod 10.1 M3 ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are meant for the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100G model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify if correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G USB drivers).
- Back up important data and settings on the phone with one of the custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Ensure USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Developer Options.
- Make sure the device has at least 85 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Ensure the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM recovery installed.
- Do a Dalvik Cache Wipe before continuing from recovery mode.
- The phone will not be recognised by Samsung KIES after installing this ROM, as it is a custom firmware.
- The instructions given in this guide are for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100G with CyanogenMod 10.1 M3 ROM
Step 2 - Connect and mount the Galaxy S2 USB mass storage on computer via USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded CM10.1 M3 ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - In ClockworkMod Recovery, do a full data wipe task by choosing Wipe Data/Factory Reset. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate and Power button to select an option in Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Do Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes. Now, perform a Wipe Dalvik Cache from advanced option in CWM recovery. This will prevent boot loop issues and any ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Return to the main recovery menu and click Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Select Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to CyanogenMod 10.1 M3 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process should begin.
NOTE: Repeat the Step 10 for installing Google Apps as well.
Step 11 - Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, hit "+++++Go Back+++++" and tap Reboot System Now in the recovery menu. Your phone will reboot now and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Your Galaxy S2 I9100G is now running on the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean based CyanogenMod 10.1 M3 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]