Galaxy S3 LTE users can now enjoy new Android 4.4 KitKat experience on their phones, thanks to the release of CyanogenMod 11 ROM from the industrious third-party Android developers.
Android 4.4 KitKat brings a whole new range of exciting features including faster multitasking, enhanced Google Now, immersive mode, smarter Caller ID and more.
Samsung is unlikely to release its official firmware for Android 4.4 KitKat on Galaxy S3 LTE GT-I9305 anytime soon. Hence, it is a viable option to try the custom Android 4.4 firmware with the latest KitKat features onboard.
Interested users can follow our step-by-step guide to install Android 4.4 KitKat on Galaxy S3 LTE using CyanogenMod 11 ROM. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The Android 4.4 CyanogenMod 11 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the Galaxy S3 LTEGT-I9305 model only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S3 LTE I9305 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (NOTE:Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings.) Then select the checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Ensure the device is unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with latest ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery (v220.127.116.11) installed. Alternatively, install CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly which includes CWM recovery v18.104.22.168. If you are installing the CWM recovery for the first time, check out the video tutorial below, courtesy to The Android Soul:
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before you start working on it.
Steps to Install Android 4.4 KitKat on Galaxy S3 LTE I9305 with CyanogenMod 11 ROM
Step-1: Download Android 4.4 KitKat CyanogenMod 11 ROM for Galaxy S3 LTE I9305 to computer
Step-2: Download Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy S3 LTE to computer via USB cable. Without extracting, copy the downloaded firmware zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of the phone's SD card.
Step-4: Power off the phone and wait for 5 to 10 seconds until the device shuts down completely.
Step-5: Press and hold Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together, until the Galaxy S3 LTE logo appears on screen.
Step-6: Release all three buttons at the same time to boot into recovery mode. NOTE: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option.
Step-7: Perform Wipe data/Factory reset (this will delete all apps and their settings and game progress) and choose Yes on next screen to confirm the action.
Step-8: Return to CWM recovery main menu and select Mounts and Storage > Format System and click Yes on next screen to confirm. Then perform Wipe Cache Partition. From the main menu of CWM recovery, go to Advanced and choose Wipe Dalvik Cache. Then hit Yes on next screen to confirm.
NOTE: Flash CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly before you proceed (use step 9). Once CM 10.2 Nightly is flashed, you will have access to CWM recovery v22.214.171.124 and then you can install/flash CyanogenMod 11 ROM (repeat step 9).
Step-9: Select Install Zip from sdcard and then click Choose zip from sdcard. Browse to the location of the CyanogenMod firmware file (CM11-1.1-11-12-13-UNOFFICIAL-jfltevzw.zip) copied earlier to the phone's SD card. Choose Yes on next screen to confirm the firmware installation.
Step-10: Repeat the previous step to install Google Apps (pa_gapps) as well.
Step-11: Once Google Apps is also installed, select "+++++Go Back+++++" and reboot the phone by tapping reboot system now from the recovery menu. Your Galaxy S3 LTE will restart and it may take about 5 minutes for first boot. So, do not interrupt the process.
Your Galaxy S3 I9305 is now running on Android 4.4 KitKat via CyanogenMod 11 ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: The Android Soul]