The Samsung Galaxy S2 has yet to receive the Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) update but some developers have been successful in running the Jelly Bean-based AOKP and CynogenMod 10 (CM10) ROMs. Android Soul now reports that developers from the XDA forum now have a new custom ROM, which combines the two and makes it compatible with the S2.
The Vanilla RootBox Jelly Bean 4.1.1 ROM, according to claims made by the developers, is built from RootBox sources and is a pure AOKP/CM build without addition. Basically, what they're saying is that when installing users will have the option of choosing extra apps. However, the ROM is still in development stages, so be warned there will probably be bugs.
A basic list of features includes such apps as Nova and Apex, File Manager (ES File Explorer and Solid Explorer Beta 2), music players and enhancement options, an enhanced camera and the ability to access Over the Air (OTA) updates. Meanwhile, a list of those that are not yet working include Google Ears, ROM Control and A2DP.
Check out the instructions below to learn how to install this ROM for the Galaxy S2. IBTimes UK warns users this software is compatible only with Galaxy S3 model number i9100 and that they should back-up all important data and APN settings before proceeding.
Steps to Install Android 4.1.1 with RootBox ROM on Galaxy S2
- Install Android firmware 4.0.3 XXLPQ and ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery on XXLPQ.
- Download Vanilla RootBox Rom and copy file to internal SD card of device.
- Turn off device and boot into CWM Recover - simultaneously press Volume Up, Home and Power, until screen turns on.
- Select Wipe Data > Factory Reset and select Yes to confirm data wipe.
- Upon completion of wipe, select Mounts and Storage > Format > System and then return to main menu.
- Navigate to SD card and install ROM.
- After installation, click on Finish to reboot device into Vanilla RootBox ROM; this will take about five minutes.
Note: In order to return to a stock Samsung ROM either install XXLPQ firmware or re-install Android 4.0.4 by getting a copy from here