A number of airports across the globe have been given misleading names which are operating miles apart from the region where they claim to serve, according to a new report by travel website Skyscanner.
Many budget airlines use secondary airports because of the lower operational costs compared to central airports, which allow them to offer cheaper flights. However, some carriers have come under fire for giving airports misleading names.
Paris-Vatry Disney is the latest "ambiguous" airport to be added to Ryanair's list of destinations, according to Skyscanner report.
Similarly, Munich's Memmingen airport is 70 miles from central Munich, Oslo Torp is 68 miles from central Oslo, and new easyJet base, London Southend, is 40 miles from the city centre (the same distance as London Stansted is from central London).
"Depending on your final destination, regional airports can be very convenient, but travellers wanting to reach city centre locations must factor in the time and transport costs of using a regional airport, and compare them to a more central airport," said Sam Baldwin from Skyscanner.
If you fly to an airport with Paris in its name, you would expect it to be somewhere near Paris, but 93 miles isn't what most would call close. It's the equivalent of wanting to fly to London, but actually landing in Northampton," Baldwin added.
Check out the list of top 15 most misleading airport names across the globe:
- Paris-Vatry (Disney) - 93 miles (150km) from central Paris (and 70 miles (112km) from Disneyland Paris)
- Munich West (Memmingen) - 70 miles (112km) from central Munich
- Oslo (Torp) - 68 miles (110km) from central Oslo
- Frankfurt (Hahn) - 68 miles (110km) from central Frankfurt
- London (Oxford) - 60 miles (97km) from central London
- Stockholm (Skavsta) - 59 miles (95km) from central Stockholm
- Barcelona (Girona) - 58 miles (94km) from central Barcelona
- Barcelona (Reus) - 58 miles (94km) from central Barcelona
- Paris (Beauvais) - 55miles (88km) from central Paris
- Dusseldorf (Weeze) - 50 miles (80 km) from central Dusseldorf
- London (Stansted) - 40 miles (64km) from central London
- London (Southend) - 40 miles (64km) from central London
- Tokyo (Narita) - 37 miles (60km) from central Tokyo
- Verona (Brescia) - 33 miles (53km) from central Verona
- Glasgow (Prestwick) - 32 miles (51km) from central Glasgow