Bursa suicide bomb attack
Police officers try to block the area near the site of a bombing in Bursa in northwestern Turkey on 27 April Getty Images

At least 10 people were wounded when a female suicide bomber blew herself up near the Grand mosque in the Turkish town of Bursa on 27 April. This is the fifth suicide bombing incident in the recent past that targeted a major urban centre in the country.

The country, which faces threats from both the Islamic State (Isis) militants and Kurdish separatists in the country, reportedly beefed up its security arrangements in the recent weeks, The Wall Street Journal reported, adding that the suicide bombing attack came less than 24 hours after the US Embassy in Turkey issued a public warning against possible terrorist attacks at popular tourist places around Turkey. The Grand mosque in Bursa is located near a busy marketplace and is a popular tourist destination.

The bomb was detonated at around 5.25pm local time, Hurriyet Daily News reported, adding that health minister Mehmet Müezzinoğlu said about 13 people were wounded in the attack, but their condition was not critical.

The Bursa governor's office reportedly confirmed that seven wounded people were rushed to nearby hospitals for treatment. They added that nearby shops were also damaged in the attack and that firefighters and health officials are taking account of the damage.

No one has so far claimed responsibility for the incident. Meanwhile, Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu told mediapersons during a late night press conference in capital Ankara that investigators are on the lookout for the perpetrators. "These terror attacks won't lead Turkey to step back from its decisive attitude towards fighting terrorism. We will maintain the most decisive attitude towards terrorism," Davutoglu was quoted by The Wall Street Journal as saying.

On 10 October 2015, two suicide bombers blew themselves up in front of the busy Ankara main train station where hundreds had gathered to attend a peace rally. Terrorists next targeted Istanbul's historic Sultanahmet Square on 12 January, followed by another attack on 19 March on İstiklal Avenue in Istanbul.