The Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 (Wi-Fi + 3G) gets its first custom Jelly Bean ROM based on CyanogenMod 10 (CM10). The CM10 update offers a stock Android experience along with a rich feature set including smoother interface, an enhanced and customisable notifications centre, Google Now for voice recognition assisted information and search services, a smart keyboard, improved browser and an integrated theme engine for customisable options.
It should be noted this ROM is not an official release and since it is based on a stock Android interface, it will not include Samsung TouchWiz-based features and apps. In addition, certain native apps like the camera functionality will be different. Finally, since this is still under development, it could have broken features or bugs.
This is a list of known issues, as cited by espenfjo, the ROM's developer:
- Camera is unstable
- Wi-Fi tethering is semi-broken
- Some audio issues
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are compatible with the Galaxy Note 10.1 Wi-Fi+3G variant with model number N8000 only. It will not work with the Wi-Fi only model or any other US variant, such as N8010/N8013, or any other device. Verify device's model number through Settings > About Phone
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important personal data and settings (bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and other Internet settings) to avoid risk of losing data while installation
- Ensure ClockworkMod (CM10) Recovery is installed before proceeding
- The instructions provided in this guide are for reference purposes only and do not cover warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using this firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install CM10 Based Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000
Step 1: Download latest version of CM10 based Jelly Bean ROM from XDA Developers' official thread
Step 2: Download Google Apps package from here
Step 3: Without extracting, copy both files to the device's SD card
Step 4: Power off tablet and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do so, press and hold Power and Volume Up buttons. Release Power button when the display powers on but keep holding Volume Up button until device boots into ClockworkMod Recovery. Use Volume keys to navigate between menu options and Power key to select an option in Recovery
Step 5: Do a Nandroid Backup of present ROM, so you can safely restore original ROM if needed. Take a backup by choosing Backup and Restore and on the next screen, tap Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done
Step 6: Tap Wipe Data / Factory Reset and click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait until data wipe process completes
Step 7: Choose install zip from SD card and tap choose zip from SD card. Browse and select ROM file and confirm installation by clicking Yes on next screen. The ROM should begin installing
Step 8: Once ROM is installed, tap choose zip from SD card again and then click gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip to install Google apps (GApps) package
Step 9: After GApps is installed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot system. The first boot may take about 5 minutes.
Note: If you wish to restore previous ROM, boot into recovery (as explained in Step 4), choose Backup and Restore and recover previous ROM by selecting from the list
CM10-based Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) is now installed on the Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000.
[Source: The Android Soul]