Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 users in several countries received the latest official Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) update recently. Some of the supported countries include Hungary, Switzerland, Serbia, Crotia and Baltic, where the users can also install this update via Samsung KIES.
Nevertheless, those residing outside the supported countries and those who did not receive the OTA update notification for some reason can follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually.
Android 4.1.2 XXLT5 Jelly Bean Firmware Details
Date: May, 2013
NOTE: The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The XXLT5 Jelly Bean firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy Note GT-N7000 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone including contacts, messages, MMS, photos, videos and APNs to avoid data loss while performing any wiping task during or after firmware installation.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the firmware.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy Note GT-N7000 USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure the device is both carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocked to enable rooting and install custom ROMs in the future.
- The ODIN flash tool provided is designed to work only on Windows OS. Linux or Mac OS users are advised to use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XXLT5 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Note GT-N7000
Step 2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip files to the desired location on the desktop. The extracted folder will contain a .tar.md5 file and a few other files (optional).
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as some other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Now boot the phone in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power button together until a construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Now hit Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you obtained in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges is required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable. When the device connects successfully, the ID: COM box will turn Yellow with the corresponding COM port number.
Step 7: Select the following files from N7000XXLT5 folder in Odin using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the file named '.tar' or '.md5'
- Choose the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if the file is not found in extracted firmware folder)
- Click the CSC checkbox, and choose the file named 'CSC' (ignore if the file is missing in extracted folder)
- Choose the PIT checkbox, and click the .pit file. (ignore if there is no such file)
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But, the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected, only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 9: Verify if Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin flashing the update.
Step 10: Once the firmware installation completes, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now remove the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
Your Galaxy Note GT-N7000 is now successfully running on Android 4.1.2 XXLT5 Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware update.
- If the phone is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 10, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together). Now perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before choosing Reboot System Now function. Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing a wipe function will erase data on your phone's internal memory and does not affect data on SD card.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]