Galaxy S4 I9505 (snapdragon 600 variant) users can now rejoice over the release of the latest Jelly Bean update via Android 4.2.2 XXUAME2 Over-The-Air (OTA) firmware from Samsung, as it brings the latest bug-fixes and performance improvements for the handset. The update is now available for download via Samsung KIES in supported countries across Europe and Asia. However, those who missed the update or cannot access the official OTA update for some reason can install the same manually using our step-by-step guide given below.
Android 4.2.2 XXUAME2 Jelly Bean Firmware Details
Date: May, 2013
Regions: Europe, Asia
Key Points to Note
- Android 4.2.2 XXUAME2 official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S4 I9505 (Snapdragon 600) model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown during firmware installation.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy S4 I9505 USB drivers)
- Make sure the device is both factory unlocked (not locked to any specific carrier) and bootloader unlocked to prevent conflicts during firmware installation.
- If you receive"MD5 hash value is invalid"error message on screen, than just re-download the firmware and install it to resolve the issue.
- Installation of the firmware requires ODIN flash tool which is designed for Windows OS only. However, Linux and Mac OS users are advised to use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if the device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.2.2 XXUAME2 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S4 I9505
- Download the extracted firmware zip file to get a .tar file in the extracted folder.
- Then extract the Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe.
- Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
- Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power button together until a "Warning!" message pops up on screen. Now hit Volume Up button to force the phone into Download mode.
- Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator, as admin rights are needed to complete the installation process smoothly.
- Connect the phone to computer via original USB cable. When the phone connects successfully, the ID: COM box will turn Yellow with the corresponding COM port number.
- Choose the following files in Odin from extracted XXUAME2 firmware folder using the respective checkboxes:
- Select the 'PDA' checkbox, and click the .tar file extracted in Step 1.
- Choose the 'Phone' checkbox, and choose the file named 'modem' (Ignore if the file does not exist).
- Click the 'CSC' checkbox, and choose the file with 'CSC' in its name (Ignore if the file is not found).
- Select the 'PIT' checkbox, and click the .pit file. Use only if the file is obtained while extracting in step 1, otherwise ignore it.
- In Odin, ensure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are selected. But, the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected, only if a .pit file is used in the previous step, otherwise leave it unchecked.
- Hit the START button in ODIN to begin flashing the firmware.
- Once the firmware flashing is complete, the phone will automatically reboot and a green PASS notification appears in the top-left-most box in ODIN. Now unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Your Galaxy S4 I9505 is now running on official Android 4.2.2 XXUAME2 Jelly Bean firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
Now that your phone is successfully updated to the latest official firmware, it is possible to root the device on the same firmware using our step-by-step guide provided below.
Downloads for Rooting
How to Root Official Android 4.2.2 XXUAME2 Jelly Bean Firmware on Galaxy S4 I9505
1. Extract the downloaded CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gtI9505.zip file to obtain a CF-Auto-Root-m0-m0xx-gtI9505.tar.md5 file in the unzipped folder.
2. Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe.
3. Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding down Volume Down, Home and Power button together. When a "warning!" message appears on the screen, hit Volume up key to continue entry into Download Mode.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator, as admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
6. Connect the phone to computer via USB cable. When the phone connects successfully, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number.
7. Choose the following files in Odin using respective buttons:
- Click the PDA checkbox, and choose the CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gti9505.tar.md5 file.
8. In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes.
9. Verify if step 7 and step 8 are done correctly. Then hit the START button in ODIN to begin the flashing process.
10. Once the flashing process is complete, the phone will automatically reboot and a green PASS notification appears in the top-left-most box. Now unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Your Galaxy S4 I9505 is now rooted on official Android 4.2.2 XXUAME2 firmware.