The Indian army and the police have mounted a joint operation in a forest area of Kupwara in Kashmir after receiving information about the presence of two or three terrorists. According to sources cited by NDTV, the area has been barricaded and gunshots are being heard.

As clashes continue in the tense border region, on Saturday (29 October) Indian forces destroyed four Pakistani posts and inflicted casualties on Pakistani troops along the Line of Control (Loc) in Keran sector following alleged violation of ceasefire by Pakistan in Jammu and Kashmir. The LoC is the de facto border between India and Pakistan in the contested area. The forces reportedly mounted a sustained assault through mortars, heavy and light machine guns and rockets at many Pakistan army posts throughout Saturday. The Pakistani casualties could be as high as 20, NDTV reported.

In the alleged ceasefire violation along the international border a Border Security Force (BSF) soldier was killed and a civilian wounded.

Since India carried out surgical strikes and destroyed seven launch pads in Pakistan-administered Kashmir in September, Pakistani forces have reportedly been targeting Indian posts. On Saturday night, after the Indian attack, Pakistani forces reportedly fired in different sectors in Jammu and Kashmir.

In the past month, at least four soldiers and three BSF personnel have been killed. Four civilians have also been killed and many others injured as the areas near the border have been placed on high alert. Several areas have also been evacuated.

Indian Home Minister Rajnath Singh warned of a "befitting reply" to the firing from across the border.

On Friday, the BSF said at least 15 Pakistani soldiers were killed in retaliatory fire. An Indian soldier, Mandeep Singh, was killed and his body cut up to pieces by terrorists near the LoC. The Indian army vowed that "the incident will be responded to appropriately" and said the attackers had fled to Pakistan-administered Kashmir "under the cover of heavy firing by Pakistan army".