Linzi Ashton and Michael Cope
Mother-of-two Linzi Ashton was murdered in June. Suspect Michael Cope is now in custody.

The man wanted on suspicion of murdering mother-of-two Linzi Ashton has handed himself in after nearly a month on the run.

Michael Cope, 28, who had an "acrimonious" relationship with Ashton, is believed to have contacted police, and was arrested in Leigh, Greater Manchester.

Ashton's body was found by relatives on 29 June. She had multiple injuries, including to her neck and throat, a post-mortem examination found.

"A man has been arrested following the death of Linzi Ashton, who was killed last month in Salford," Greater Manchester Police said.

"At about 11.55pm on Friday 26 July 2013, police were called to an address on Larch Road in Leigh following a report a wanted man was at the address.

"Armed officers attended and a 28-year-old man handed himself in to police and was arrested on suspicion of murder. He remains in police custody for questioning".

Ashton, of Westbourne Road, Winton, had made allegations of rape and assault against Cope in April and May.

Two further men have been charged, one with perverting the course of justice and the other with assisting an offender.

Police searched more than 30 addresses during the manhunt. Cope, who is from Salford, had been known to make visits in and around the town centre of Leigh.

CCTV images released by police this week showed Cope buying food in a shop in Wigan.

Ashton, 25, who had two daughters, Destiny, seven, and Daisy, two, had been in a brief relationship with Cope.

Detective Superintendent Tony Creely added: "Since Linzi was killed nearly a month ago there has been an intensive manhunt to find and arrest her killer safely.

"Late last night we received intelligence which led us to an address on Larch Road in Leigh. Armed officers attended and a 28-year-old man handed himself into police.

"Over recent weeks we have received a very positive response from the public, and we thank the people of Salford, Hindley and Leigh for their cooperation and support."

Watch CCTV footage of suspect Cope below: