Police are warning consumers not to drink a Caribbean pear juice drink after a bottle of it contaminated with cocaine killed a man.

Joromie Lewis, 33, of Gosport in Hampshire, died within hours of drinking a small amount of the Cole Cold Pear-D drink he had brought back with him from a trip to the Caribbean.

Tests on the product confirmed that it contained a lethal amount of the class A drug.

Police believe that the bottle was being used to transport drugs into the UK. Detectives and the Food Standards Agency have warned British shops that might have the product on their shelves to remove it.

Det Supt Richard Pearson of Hampshire Constabulary, said: "We are working closely with partner agencies, including Southampton's Regulatory Services, Public Health England, the Food Standards Agency and other law enforcement agencies, including the National Crime Agency, to minimise any risk to the public and to investigate the circumstances leading to the tragic death of Mr Lewis.

"We have taken clear advice from partner agencies and, in light of the analysis of the contents of the bottle, a decision was made to issue the public alert by the Food Standards Agency.

"Enquiries to date have not identified any further incidents or similar bottles.

"The investigation suggests that this was likely to be a rogue bottle from a consignment of drugs stored in plastic juice bottles."

If found, bottles of Pear-D should be taken unopened to the nearest police station for examination. Alternatively, contact the Food Standards Agency on 020 7276 8448, he added.

The family of Lewis, a Royal Navy veteran, described him as a "devoted family-oriented man with a selfless attitude to help others".

"His exemplary conduct and actions touched the lives and hearts of many," his wife, Jayrusha Lewis, added.