In two separate incidents, security forces in Chechnya's capital Gronzy killed 11 militants who were attempted to attack the police in the city. Six others have been arrested, five of whom are receiving treatment at a hospital.

On Saturday, 17 December, the militants attacked a police officer and stole his car. When the authorities were unable to stop the vehicle, they opened fire. Four gunmen were killed in the shootout and two others arrested. One police officer was injured in the skirmish.

"The gunmen were neutralised with retaliation fire. Two of them were taken to hospital and four were killed. An investigation group is working on the scene trying to identify the gunmen," said Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov, speaking about the special operation in a video posted on his Instagram account.

Police were able to track down the rest of the militant group on the outskirts of Grozny by 18 December, following which another exchange of fire ensued. Seven men were killed and four others captured. Three of those captured had been taken to a hospital for treatment.

An RIA source told RT that the attackers may have been part of the Islamic State but there has been no confirmation of the same. "There is information that they [the remaining attackers] are part of an Islamic State cell that is banned in Russia," the source said.

Ramzan Kadyrov
Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov said that the clash took place outside Grozny Reuters

TASS agency and state Rossiya-24 TV channel reported that one police officer was killed in the encounter on Saturday. However, citing the Investigative Committee in Chechnya, Russian newspaper Novaya Gazeta claims that three officers were killed.

Спецоперация в Грозном и его окрестностях завершена.  Уничтожены 7 бандитов, четверо задержаны, в том числе трое, находятся в больнице с огнестрельными ранениями. Я вынужден с большим сожалением отметить, что отдельные СМИ умышленно нагнетали ситуацию, тиражировали ложные сведения из выдуманных источников, заранее зная, что они не соответствуют действительности. Так, одно из интернет-изданий с пометкой «Молния» сообщило, что в воскресенье в центре города прогремел взрыв и ведется стрельба. На самом деле на проспекте, о котором идёт речь, не было никакого взрыва и стрельбы, не прозвучал ни один выстрел, работали все магазины, рестораны, кафе, учреждения. Также писали, что спецоперация проводится в Старопромысловском районе, хотя она проходила в нескольких километрах от города в горно-лесистой местности, где нет ни одной постройки. Я ещё раз подчеркиваю, что ни одному шайтану не удастся живым покинуть Грозный, если он пришёл с оружием в руках. Это было наглядно доказано за последние сутки. Я благодарен всем участникам операции, которые продемонстрировали профессионализм, мужество, стойкость, выносливость. Действовали в условиях глубокого снега, холодной погоды, оврагов, крутых склонов. Нашим друзьям во всем мире говорю, что в Грозном и Чечне всё спокойно, готовимся к Новому году, ждём вас в гости! #Кадыров #Россия #Чечня #Спецоперация

A video posted by Ramzan Kadyrov (@kadyrov_95) on