Samsung has started rolling out the Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) update for the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the first users to get the update are those in Sweden. The update will shortly be available for users in the UK, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy and Spain. Users who cannot wait for the official firmware to roll out in their region can manually flash the firmware on their device.
The firmware is said to work only on the international variant of Galaxy S3 i9300 and not on any other variants.
Pre-requisites: Back up all you data including APN settings and make sure your device's battery has at least 80 per cent charge. Ensure that you have installed all USB drivers for your Galaxy S3. IBTimes UK cautions users to proceed at their own risk and will not be held responsible for any conseqeunces.
How to update your Galaxy S3 with XXDLIH official Jelly Bean firmware:
· Extract the downloaded zip file on your PC to obtain a file named I9300XXDLIH_I9300VDSDLI1_I9300XXDLID_HOME.tar.md5
· Download Odin PC software
- Extract the content of the Odin file to any convenient place on your PC
- Turn off the Galaxy S3 and put into download mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power buttons. Now, press Volume Up to enter into download mode
- Double-click on the Odin v3.04 exe file to open Odin
- When you connect the phone to PC you will get a message "Added!!" under the Odin's message box. If you do not get the message, ensure you have installed all the drivers correctly. If it still does not work then try to change another USB port on the PC
- In Odin, click on the PDA button. Now navigate to and choose I9300XXDLIH_I9300VDSDLI1_I9300XXDLID_HOME.tar.md5file
Note: Do not make any other changes in the Odin. Ensure re-partition option is checked.
- Click the start button to begin flashing the firmware on your phone. On successful flashing, you will get a PASS message with a green background and then the phone will reboot by itself. Unplug the cable when you see a Samsung logo
Note: If Odin gets stuck on setup connection or at any other point after you have hit the start button then do this: disconnect the phone from PC, close Odin, reinsert the battery and then turn on phone in download mode. Start the procedure once again from step 7.
- Even after you get a PASS message and the phone reboots the phone could get stuck at the booting animation. If so, then perform the following steps. Skip the steps if the device has booted and updated the firmware.
§ Boot into recovery mode: To do so, turn off the device (by re-inserting battery) and then press Volume Up + Home and Power keys until the screen turns on.
§ Choose Wipe data/Factory reset and tap on Yes to confirm installation.
§ Choose reboot system now to reboot the device
Your Samsung Galaxy S3 should now be running the official Android 4.1.1 firmware, XXDLIH.