A few days ago the first firmware with Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update for Samsung Galaxy S2 was leaked. But now Galaxy S2 owners can really enjoy the new software update since Samsung has started rolling out the Android 4.0.4 update, reports Sammobile. The update has become available for Galaxy S2 owners in Russia.
All other Galaxy S2 owners will receive the Android ICS update in the next couple of months. Owners will be able to update their Galaxy S2 by either Samsung Kies or Over-The-Air (OTA). The new firmware, XWLPM Android 4.0.4, for Samsung Galaxy S2 was built on 5 July this year which brings enhancement in stability and performance, reports The Android Soul.
The Galaxy S2 was launched with Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and is currently running on 4.0.3. Featuring a 4.3in Super AMOLED display, the Galaxy S2 was released in April last year. The device sports a high resolution eight megapixel rear-facing camera and a two megapixel front camera. The Galaxy S2 is equipped with an Exynos dual-core Cortex-A9 processor clocked at 1.2GHz. The handset is powered by a 1650mAh battery and according to Samsung, the battery delivers talk time up to 18 hours and 20 minutes in 2G and up to eight hours and 40 minutes in 3G connectivity.
Owners who do not want to wait for the official update to arrive and wish to manually install the Android 4.0.4 can follow the below- mentioned procedure. The firmware, XWLPM Android 4.0.4 and the instruction below are only compatible with Samsung Galaxy S2 model number i9100 (which is the model number of international version of Galaxy S2) but not with any other Galaxy S2 variants. Users are advised not to attempt anything else and stick to the instructions since any wrong step can damage the device.
Before going through the steps keep a backup of all your important data and applications as well as APN settings.
Steps to install the XWLPM Android 4.0.4 ICS firmware for Galaxy S2
2) Download new firmware XWLPM (file name I9100XWLPM_ I9100XELP8_SER.zip)
3) Extract the download zip to get a file named I9100XWLPM_I9100XELP8_ I9100XXLQ6_HOME.tar.md5
4) Now download Odin 1.85 and extract the contents from the file to a folder
5) Disconnect your Galaxy S2 if it is connected to a PC and put it into Download Mode. (Press and hold Volume Down + Home + Power. A warning screen will come. Press Volume Up key to enter Download Mode)
6) Open Odin and double click the Odin3 v1.85.exe
7) Now connect your Galaxy S2 to your PC and you will get a message saying ADDED under Odin's message box
8) In Odin, click on PDA and select the file I9100XWLPM_I9100XELP8_ I9100XXLQ6_HOME.tar.md5
9)Now click START button to install the firmware. You phone will automatically reboot once the installation is complete. You can safely unplug the cable when you get to see a Samsung logo. In addition you will get a PASS message
Your Samsung Galaxy S2 is now running on official Android 4.0.4 ICS updated software.