Former spin bowling legend Shane Warne is in the news once again, this time for suffering a snake bite after plunging his head into a box full of reptiles. It happened on the reality show, I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!
The 46-year-old, who is reportedly scared of snakes, was bitten by a junior anaconda while participating in the task. The episode aired on Australia's Channel Ten on 18 February.
The show required Warne to dunk his head into boxes filled with African clawed frogs, scorpions, Madagascan hissing cockroaches and rats as part of the show's Tucker Trial. He was then presented with a box of snakes, which is when the incident happened.
"The box contained anacondas, rat snakes and corn snakes. The juvenile anaconda is the one that actually struck Shane. It's non-venomous but very aggressive. Anacondas have 100 rear-facing teeth. Being bitten by one is like getting 100 hypodermic needles at once," a Network Ten spokesperson told news.com.au.
"Shane has made no secret that snakes are one of his greatest fears so it's amazing that after being bitten he bravely continued with the trial," executive producer Stephen Tate told the Daily Telegraph. "When Shane puts his mind to a task, he won't let anything stop him," he added.
The leg-spinner was treated for his injury, with medics monitoring him for any signs of infection. Warne has created quite a stir with his comments on the reality TV show. He opened up on his fractious relationship with former Australian captain Steve Waugh, while also claiming that aliens were behind experiments that turned monkeys into humans.