Wood Green shooting
Four people have been arrested after a man was shot dead by the Met Police in Wood Green, north London Getty

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) confirmed an investigation will look into the circumstances surrounding a man shot dead by an armed officer. Jermaine Baker was killed during a police operation in a residential street near Wood Green crown court, north London. A Met Police firearms officer has been suspended from duty over the incident.

"The exact circumstances that led to Mr Baker's death must be thoroughly and independently examined. That is the role of the IPCC," Met Deputy Assistant Commissioner Peter Terry said.

"It is only through establishing the full facts, as quickly as possible, as to what took place that day that the best interests of justice and of all those affected can be served."

He added: "All of our firearms officers, who are all volunteers, do a job that is difficult and often dangerous. They all fully understand, quite rightly, that they will need to account for their actions if they use lethal force."

The armed officer fired one single shot, which killed 28-year-old Jermaine Baker during an alleged plot to spring two men from a prison van outside Wood Green crown court. The IPCC said a gun had been found at the scene and it did not belong to the police. The firearm will be subject to ballistic and forensic tests.

"The Independent Police Complaints Commission has launched a homicide investigation into Mr Baker's death. The launch of a criminal investigation does not mean that criminal charges will necessarily follow," the IPCC said.

On Monday 15 December, the four men – arrested on 11 December – appeared in court. Nathan Mason, Gokay Sogucakli, Ozcan Eren and Eren Hasyer all appeared in custody at Highbury Corner magistrates court. Eren, 31, of Wood Green, and Hasyer, 25, from Enfield, are charged with conspiracy to aid the escape of the two prisoners..

All four were remanded in custody over Christmas and New Year and will appear at Wood Green crown court on 4 January.