April Fools' Day will be celebrated the world over to 1 April and sure enough, everyone will be more careful to avoid being fooled or embarrassed. Even as there are multiple theories regarding the reason of celebrating the day of pranks and jokes, one folklore, dating to 1582 is related to the Gregorian Calendar, which was adopted by Pope Gregory XIII, who declared 1 January as the beginning of the New Year. Before that the last day of March was observed as the beginning of a year.
However, many at the time, chose to ignore the Gregorian Calendar and continued to welcome New Year at the end of March, hence were mocked by people on the next day – 1 April. While many pranks – good and bad – have been witnessed on the occasion, news outlets too have joined the prank playing bandwagon, and have published "untrue stories" that end up being hilarious. However, they do clarify in some way that the article was intended as a joke. Nonetheless, you can also celebrate the day, with some fun pranks or by simply sending a message to friends and family.
Here are some messages to share on the occasion:
1. "The first of April, some do say
Is set apart for All Fool's Day;
But why the people call it so
Nor I, nor they themselves, do know,
But on this day are people sent
On purpose for pure merriment." – Poor Robin's Almanac (1790)
2. "The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." – Sir Winston Churchill
3. "A mother takes twenty years to make a man of her boy, and another woman makes a fool of him in twenty minutes." – Robert Frost
4. "For fools rush in where angels fear to tread." – Alexander Pope
5. "Take all the fools out of this world and there wouldn't be any fun living in it, or profit." – Josh Billings
6. "When in doubt, make a fool of yourself." – Cynthia Heimel
7. "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." – Benjamin Franklin
8. "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself a fool." – William Shakespeare
9. "Controversy equalizes fools and wise men...and the fools know it." – Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
10. "Wise men learn by other men's mistakes, fools by their own." – HG Bohn