Bahraini protesters asking for more political reforms have again taken to the streets to mark the first anniversary of the pro-democracy uprising that started on 14 February 2011.
Last year's uprising was marked by the regime's use of excessive force against the protesters, which was confirmed by a report published by the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry.
As protests began on Tuesday 14 February this year, activists took to Twitter to report human rights abuses and arrests conducted by the regime's forces.
Some reports suggest police have blocked the roads leading to Pearl Square, which has since then been renamed Farouk junction, in a bid to prevent protesters from reaching the rallying point.
"Ambush on police vehicles in #Bahrain part of the "crush them" campaign", a Twitter user wrote.
"Everything is BLOCKED in #Bahrain" another said.
Many also complained of arbitrary arrests
"URGENT BAHRAIN: many arbitrary arrests of youths from their cars on the highway" a Tweet read.
The son of Nabeel Rajab, the director of the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights, said his father, along with other human rights activists, has been arrested and put in detention.
"@NABEELRAJAB now detained by #Bahrain police in Exhibition centre, " Rajab 's son wrote on Twitter.
Despite a brutal crackdown in February and March 2011, protests are still taking place, with opposition groups demanding more political reforms and an elected government.
In the days ahead of the anniversary tensions between protesters and the security forces increased, with groups of youths throwing petrol bombs at the police.
King Hamad bin Isa al-Khalifa addressed the nation on state television, a day before the anniversary, saying he remained committed to reforms.
"[This] marked the launch of a development and modernization process, which is still moving forward to meet the aspirations of our loyal people in all areas," said the king.
In addition to their political demands, activists complain the security forces are conducting a crackdown on the opposition and say that while protesters arrested last year are still in detention, too few members of the security forces have been prosecuted.