Samsung recently rolled out its latest official Jelly Bean firmware, Android 4.1.2 XXCMA4, for Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 in several countries. The official firmware is now available for download via Over-The-Air (OTA) update as well as through Samsung KIES. However, those who missed the OTA update notification or cannot wait for the update through official channels can now download and install the same manually using our step-by-step guide given below.
Android 4.1.2 XXCMA4 Jelly Bean Firmware Details
Version: Android 4.1.2
Built date: February, 2013
Regions Supported: Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam (La Fleur)
Key Points to Note
- The Android 4.1.2 XXCMA4 official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are limited for the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 model only. Attempting to install this firmware on incompatible devices may inadvertently brick or damage the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Back up important data and settings on the tablet including contacts, messages, MMS, photos, videos, APNs and other internet settings to avoid data loss while performing necessary data wiping tasks during or after firmware installation.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the tablet on computer (download Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the tablet by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure the tablet has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Make sure the tablet is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) before proceeding.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable if device is damaged or bricked during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XXCMA4 Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100
Step 1: Download Android 4.1.2 XXCMA4 Jelly Bean for Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 on your computer and extract the zip file to get a .tar file along with some other files.
Step 2: Download Odin v3.07 and extract the zip file.
Step 3: Switch off the tablet and then boot it into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together. Then simultaneously tap Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 4: Launch Odin on computer as an Administrator and connect the tablet to it via USB cable.
Step 5: When the tablet is successfully connected, a message reading "Added!" will appear in Odin's message box. At this point, the ID: COM box will also turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. [Note: In case the Added message fails to appear, then try another USB port. If that does not work then try reinstalling the tablet's USB drivers on computer.]
Step 6: Choose the necessary files in the given order from the extracted P3100XXCMA4 folder, using respective checkboxes.
- Choose the PDA checkbox and click the file named '.tar.md5'
- Click the Phone checkbox and select the file named 'Modem'
- Choose the CSC checkbox and click the file named 'CSC'
- Select the PIT checkbox and choose the .pit file
[Note: Ignore the last three steps if such files are not found.]
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But, the Re-partition option must be selected only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step, otherwise ignore it.
Step 8: Verify if step 6 and step 7 are done correctly. Then click the Start button in Odin to begin installation.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, a PASS message with green background appears in the extreme left box at the top of Odin. The tablet will now automatically reboot and soon the Samsung logo should appear on the screen. Now safely unplug the USB cable from the tablet to disconnect it from the computer.
Note: If the tablet gets stuck at booting animation (after step-9) then return to recovery mode and perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe Data/factory Reset and then select Reboot System Now.
Android 4.1.2 XXCMA4 official Jelly Bean firmware is now installed and running on your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: Honai of Android]