The Galaxy S2 I9100 received the first iteration of Avatar ROM based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware in January. Much like its previous instalment, the latest version of Avatar ROM brings CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) ROM based Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) features onboard.
The new Avatar custom ROM is reportedly more stable than the previous builds of CM10.1 nightly ROM, and offers full-customisation capabilities of CM10.1 along with the ability to install striking custom themes from third-party developers.
Key Points to Note
- Avatar ROM and the instructions given in this guide are meant for the international variant Galaxy S2 I9100 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 USB drivers).
- Back up important data and settings on phone using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise, if the device is running Android 4.2, then perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 80 per cent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation, as this may inadvertently brick or damage the device.
- Double check to see that the device is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and rooted with CWM recovery installed on it.
- Do a Dalvik Cache Wipe before continuing from the Recovery Mode.
- The phone will not be recognised by Samsung KIES after installing the ROM, as it is a custom release.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Update on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 with Avatar ROM
2. Connect and mount the Galaxy S2 USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
3. Copy the downloaded Avatar ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
4. Then switch off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
5. Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together.
6. After the device enters CWM recovery, do a full data wipe by choosing Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Note: Use volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in recovery.
7. Then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache to prevent boot loop issues and other firmware initialisation errors. In CWM recovery, click advanced option and then choose Wipe Dalvik Cache.
8. Return to the main recovery screen and hit Install Zip from SD card.
9. Click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to and Power button to select the Avatar ROM zip file that you copied earlier to the SD card in Step 1. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
10. Repeat the Step 9 for installing Google Apps as well.
11. Once the ROM installation is done, hit "+++++Go Back+++++" and tap Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu. The phone will reboot now and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, leave it alone.
Galaxy S2 I9100 is now successfully updated to Android 4.2.2 Avatar Jelly Bean ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]