Samsung recently rolled out its latest official Jelly Bean update, Android 4.1.2 XXLSQ, which is exclusively meant for Orange subscribers of Galaxy S2 I9100P in the UK. The update is now available for download as Over-The-Air (OTA) update as well as through Samsung KIES for the S2 users. However, those who missed both the opportunities for some reason can now download and install the same manually, using this guide.
Android 4.1.2 XXLSQ Firmware Details
Date: May, 2013
- Android 4.1.2 XXLSQ official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are compatible with the Galaxy S2 I9100P model only. Do not attempt these instructions on any other device, as it may inadvertently damage or brick the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the device including contacts, messages, MMS, photos, videos, APNs and other internet settings to avoid data loss while performing any data wiping task during or after firmware installation.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the device on computer (download Galaxy S2 I9100P USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure that the device is carrier unlocked as well as bootloader unlocked to prevent conflicts while installing the firmware and also enable rooting capability on the device.
- The installation of the firmware requires ODIN flash tool, which is designed for Windows OS only. Linux and Mac OS users should use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN.
Key Points to Note
- Root access to the device will be lost soon after installing the official firmware. Just re-root the device to regain full system access and be able to install third-party root apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks.
- The only file absolutely necessary for installing this firmware is the file with .tar.md5 extension, which should be flashed via PDA section in Odin.
- If you encounter "MD5 hash value is invalid" error message in Odin message box, then just re-download the firmware to fix it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy S2 I9100P to Official Android 4.1.2 XXLSQ Jelly Bean Firmware
1. Extract the downloaded firmware zip file to get a .tar.md5 file and some other files.
2. Then extract Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
3. Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Now, boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together while simultaneously tapping the Power button. When a "Warning!" message appears on screen, tap Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
4. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (extracted in Step 2) as an Administrator, as Admin privileges is required to complete the process smoothly.
5. Now connect the phone to computer via USB cable. A message reading "Added!" will appear in Odin's message box at the bottom left of the screen. If the message fails to appear just retry with another USB port (preferably the one at the back of the computer). If all else fails, then reinstall the phone's USB drivers on computer. When the successful "Added!!" message appears in Odin then proceed to the next step. At this point, the ID: COM box will turn Yellow with the corresponding COM port number if the device is added successfully.
6. Select the following files in Odin from extracted XXLSQ firmware folder using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and choose the .tar.md5 file from extracted folder
- Choose the Phone checkbox, and click the file named 'modem' (ignore if the file is not found)
- Select the CSC checkbox, and choose the file named 'CSC' (ignore if the file is missing)
- Click the PIT checkbox, and select the .pit file (ignore if there is no such file)
7. In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by choosing their checkboxes. But, ensure that Re-Partition checkbox is chosen, only if a .pit file was used in the previous step.
8. Verify that everything mentioned in Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
9. Once the firmware flashing process completes, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now remove the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Congratulations! Galaxy S2 I9100P is now running on Android 4.1.2 XXLSQ Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: Android Jinn]