Samsung recently rolled out its latest official Jelly Bean firmware, Android 4.1.2 XWLSW, for the international variant of Galaxy S2 with model number GT-I9100 in the UK and Ireland. The latest official firmware is now available for download through Samsung KIES as well as Over-The-Air (OTA) update.
Galaxy S2 users, who have already updated their device to the latest official firmware, can root their phones using our step-by-step tutorial given below.
NOTE: Rooting a device will void it of its warranty and the instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if the device is damaged or bricked during or after the root installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The Siyah Root Kernel package provided in this guide is compatible with the Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 model only. Do not attempt to install this kernel on any other variant, as it may inadvertently damage or hard brick the device. Verify your device model number by navigating to settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 USB drivers).
- Enable USB debugging mode on the phone, by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Back up important data and settings on the phone via one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Make sure the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) and the latest Android 4.1.2 XWLSW official firmware is installed on it.
- Verify the phone's battery has at least 80% charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during root installation.
How to Root Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 on Official Android 4.1.2 XWLSW Jelly Bean Firmware
Step 1: Extract Odin v3.07 file to your desktop using winrar / winzip or 7zip.
Step 2: Power off the phone. Now boot it into Download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power button together until the device turns on. Then hit the Volume Up button to progress into Download mode.
Step 3: Launch Odin on computer as Administrator, as admin privileges are required to complete the root installation smoothly.
Step 4: Connect the Galaxy S2 I9100 to computer via USB cable, while the phone is still in Download mode. Wait until Odin identifies the device and once the device connects successfully, the ID: COM box will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. If Odin fails to detect the device or if "Added!" message fails to appear on screen, then just reinstall the phone's USB drivers on computer.
Step 5: In Odin, ensure Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are enabled by selecting their checkboxes in Odin. But, make sure the Re-Partition option is disabled or unchecked.
Step 6: In Odin, click PDA button and choose the Siyah-s2-v6.0b5.tar file.
Step 7: Double check to ensure step 5 and step 6 are done correctly. Then hit the Start button in Odin and the root installation process will begin.
Step 8: Once the root installation is done, your phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now remove the USB cable to disconnect your phone from computer.
The Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 is now rooted on official Android 4.1.2 XWLSW Jelly Bean firmware. It is now possible to install third-party root apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks on your phone which require root permission.
[Source: Honai of Android]