Wales stepped up a gear in the second half of their Six Nations clash with Scotland to secure a thrilling victory at the Millennium Stadium.

Warren Gatland's lacked spark until the final 20 minutes of the contest when they finally found their rhythm with two tries in the space of six minutes from Jamie Roberts and George North securing the win.

Duncan Taylor scored a fabulous try of his own in the closing stages of the contest but it was not enough as the home side clinched a 27-23 win. Wales have now won their last nine meetings with today's opposition.

Despite rescuing a draw in Dublin last week, Wales were eager to improve upon that frustrating performance and immediately looked to force the visitors on the back foot, coming within yards of the Scottish line from Alun Wyn Jones' lineout minutes into the contest.

The bright start paid off minutes later when Gareth Davies sprinted onto a loose ball on the half way line to register the first try of the afternoon, with Dan Biggar converting. Scotland hit back through Tommy Seymour, however, who collected Finn Russell's precise punt into the corner, with Greig Laidlaw cancelling out Wales' lead from the spot.

It was Scotland who ended the first-half the better of the two and perhaps should have registered a second try, only for John Barclay to kick into touch having not seen Stuart Hogg's powerful run through to his right. Vern Cotter's side lost Hogg before half time after a collision with hooker Scott Baldwin, with Ruaridh Jackson entering the fray to replace the Glasgow Warriors fly-half. Despite the loss, the visitors ended the half with a slender advantage following another penalty from Laidlaw.

The Scotland skipper and Biggar scored a penalty each early in the second half but Wales took control of the contest when Roberts leaped through from short range after much pressure on the Scottish try line after an hour, with Biggar dutifully converting.

Scotland tried to dust themselves down but were undone by North's 40-yard drive after a series of handling errors allowed the Northampton winger to race through across the line. Taylor's late effort provided late hope but in the end it was mere consolation.