The final build of CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1) ROM brings the latest custom Jelly Bean features minus Sony's native apps and services to Sony's flagship smartphone, the Xperia Z. The missing apps list in the custom ROM also includes those of Google such as Google Hangout, Sync and Play Store.
NOTE: Sony Xperia Z users who are eager to retain their stock apps are strongly advised to perform a Nandroid Backup of the existing ROM before installing the CM10.1 final build on their device. This will enable the user to preserve existing stock apps and settings in case he/she wants to restore the device back to factory settings.
Key Points to Note
- CyanogenMod 10.1 final build ROM and instructions provided in this guide are applicable for the Sony Xperia Z model only. Do not attempt this procedure on any other device, as it may inadvertently brick or damage the device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Backup important data and settings on the phone via Nandroid Backup, so that you can restore the original ROM if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to your previous ROM.
- Ensure the phone is factory unlocked (not locked to a specific carrier) as well as bootloader unlocked.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the device by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings >Applications> Development (if phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the device is running on Android 4.2, then do the following:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal the hidden Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) during firmware installation.
How to Update Sony Xperia Z to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Based CyanogenMod 10.1 Final Build ROM
- Unzip or extract the fastboot.zip file to a desired folder on C: drive of your computer.
- Now extract CM10.1 Final Build ROM to a folder on the desktop and then copy the boot.img file from the fastboot folder to it.
- Connect the phone to computer via USB cable and copy the GApps and ROM files to the phone's SD card.
- Power off the phone and reboot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together.
- Launch command prompt on computer by navigating to Start > All Programs > Accessories.
- Now enter the following command to browse and select the fastboot folder: cd c:Fastboot.
- Type the command fastboot flash boot boot.img to install boot.img.
- When the boot.img file is installed successfully on the phone, you will receive an Okay or finished message.
- Once the firmware image file is installed, disconnect the phone from computer and Power it on again.
- When the Free Xperia Project boot-logo appears onscreen, tap the Volume Up key several times to boot the device into recovery mode.
- In recovery mode, perform wipe data/factory reset followed by wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache from advanced option.
- Wait until the entire wiping task is complete and then return to the main recovery menu.
- Select Install Zip from SD card and then click Choose Zip from SD card.
- Now browse and select the downloaded CyanogenMod 10.1 Final Build ROM file. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and let the installation process begin.
- Once the ROM installation is complete, repeat the previous step for installing Google Apps package as well.
- After Google Apps installation is also done, hit Go Back and then tap Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! Your Sony Xperia Z is now updated to latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update via CyanogenMod 10.1 Final Build ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.