Stuart Broad
Broad fined for comments relating to decision not to abandon play during thunderstorm.

England captain Stuart Broad has been fined 15 per cent of his match fee after criticising match officials who allowed play to continue despite the threat of lightning in the World Twenty20 defeat against New Zealand.

A thunderstorm over the ZACS Stadium in Chittagong on Saturday ended the game after 5.2 overs of the Black Caps' pursuit of 173, giving New Zealand victory on Duckworth/Lewis, but Broad felt players and fans had been in danger well before a decision to end play was made.

On Sunday the International Cricket Council announced Broad had pleaded guilty to a Level 1 charge having breached Article 2.1.7 of the ICC code of conduct for players and player support personnel.

That article relates to "public criticism of, or inappropriate comment in relation to an incident occurring in an international match or any player, player support personnel, match official or team participating in any international match".

"It's not sour grapes because the New Zealanders feel exactly the same," Broad told BBC's Test Match special on Saturday evening.

"It was unsafe for the players to be out there and, to be as polite as I possibly can, it was distinctly average decision-making.

"I asked the umpires why we stayed on the field and they said they didn't see the lightning as a threat and they didn't see it because it was behind them - I don't agree with that, I was on the field. I personally wouldn't have taken the risk."

After receiving his fine, Broad revealed his displeasure over the decision, tweeting," Shame to be fined. Back to bland and unopinionated press conferences I'm afraid. Draw a line onto the next game!"

England resume their campaign at the same venue against Sri Lanka on Thursday.