Robin van Persie
Van Persie says Arsenal almost blocked his move to United.

Robin van Persie has spoken of the troubles he encountered in clinching his move to Manchester United last summer after revealing that former club Arsenal attempted to block his move to Old Trafford.

Van Persie won the Premier League golden boot as United claimed a record 20th league title last season after securing a big-money move from rivals Arsenal in last summer's transfer window.

The Dutchman confirms that he had to consider offers from both Manchester City and Juventus, while blaming Arsenal's director for holding up his move to United.

"It was [difficult] because it wasn't only me who decided where I went to play," Van Persie told MUTV. "I also depended on my former club as well and how they saw it. And then of course you always have these games that the directors play.

"It's a bit like a rollercoaster. Some days it is looking good and other days it is worse. You don't really know what to expect because things can change so quickly. It normally depends on the player and the two teams, but in my case, there were two other teams involved as well.

"One was [Manchester] City and the other one was Juventus. So it was a bit hectic but I always wanted this transfer from day one. Me and Sir Alex knew that it would be a bumpy road, but I think that it shows that if you really want something then nothing is impossible. I am glad it happened."

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger said Van Persie would be the final player sold to United after parting ways with the 2011/12 PFA Players' Player of the Year, with the 29 year old having previously rejected the offer of a new contract.

And the former Gunner had an immediate impact at United, scoring 26 league goals in his debut season for the club, spearheading the Premier League's most ruthless attack towards the first major championship of his career.

The move represented the highest profile transfer of the summer on English shores and Van Persie admits after hearing the move had been completed on international duty, was relived the saga over his future was over.

"I was in the coach and just about to play with Holland," he added. "There are no phones allowed in there but I just kept it on me just in case. When I heard a small buzz, I looked at it and saw a text from my agent that read: 'The deal is done, enjoy the game'.

"It was a big relief. I wasn't fined for using my phone either! It was weird because they announced it on TV during the game, which I didn't know - I thought it was only me who knew. From that moment, everything went so quickly.

"The next day, I had to come for my medical. I went by train from Brussels to London to get my bits and pieces and then onto Manchester. The next one and a half days was very hectic, I had my first training session and then two days later we had to play Everton.

"When you go to high school and you are about twelve years old, you wake up early and are nervous about seeing your new class-mates. It was very similar to be fair, although I knew most of them. But it was like that. I came in, gave everyone a handshake and we had some jokes and some smiles, so it felt good from day one."