Dan Evans
Evans has set his sights on Federer after producing the showing of his singles career. Getty Images


  • Evans beats Alexandr Dolgopolov 7-6 6-4 6-1 to set up clash with seven-time champion.
  • Watson misses three match points to lose first round match 6-3 0-6 10-12 to Annika Beck
  • British number ones Andy Murray and Johanna Konta in action on day four.

Great Britain have endured contrast fortunes at Wimbledon after Dan Evans set up a third round meeting with Roger Federer but Heather Watson was unable to convert three match points before crashing out at SW19.

Both players had been frustrated by the rain but their emotions were soon vastly different as play resumed at the All England Club. Evans marched into round three for the first time at his home grand slam with the performance of his singles career to defeat Ukraine's Alexandr Dolgopolov in straight sets. The Birmingham-born right-hander took the tie-break upon play restarting and quickly cruised into a 5-1 lead in the second set.

Dolgopolov produced brief resistance to break back once but was unable to prevent Evans doubling his advantage as he moved into a near-unassailable lead. The 26-year-old solidified his position of comfort by taking two earlier breaks again, going on to clinch the match 7-6 6-4 6-1 to book a meeting with seven-time champion Federer on Friday [1 July].

"It was tough yesterday with the stop and start," Evans, who has only once been to the third round of a grand slam, told BBC Sport. "It was difficult to get my head around coming out to play a tiebreak this morning and then go on and play the rest of the match. It was a strange one.

"I got used to his game. Yesterday was tough, it was wet and I couldn't use my strength and movement. Getting him moving today a bit more solid under foot helped me come forwards and close the net down."

On facing the great Federer, who has already beaten one Brit this tournament, Evans said: "It's going to be good fun, I can't wait to get out there and play him and it is going to be an amazing experience. I've got to prepare like I've got a chance to win the match. He's obviously one of the best players to ever play this sport. I have to put that to the back of my mind and give it a good go tomorrow."

Heather Watson
Watson went out at the first round stage for the fourth time in seven years. Getty Images

Watson and Annika Beck's first round match had initially been scheduled for Tuesday [28 June] and despite two sets being completed in the twilight of day three, they resumed for a second time in the opening match on a packed court 12. Beck had broken Watson in the final game before the weather closed in, but it would be a far from routine victory for the German.

The world number 43-ranked Beck stormed into a 4-1 lead and seemed destined to tie up the match in double quick time. Watson had other ideas however and reeled off four successive games to go within a game of the last 32. Beck held serve twice to take the decider into sudden death, where Watson failed to take three match points in game 20 as her opponent twice found the line with gutsy forehands.

Two service games later and the comeback prompted a collapse from Watson who added to her 64 unforced errors to surrender the break and allow Beck to serve out the match 3-6 6-0 12-10 to bring a conclusion to a gruelling first round match approaching nearly three hours.