Adam Johnson can continue to turn out for Sunderland after being charged with child sex offences.
The 27-year-old winger was faced on Thursday (23 April) with three counts of sexual activity with a child under 16 and one count of grooming.
The offences allegedly took place over a period of weeks from December 2014, with a girl aged 15.
In a statement, the club said Johnson was still eligible for selection by manager Dick Advocaat, with the side involved in a dog fight against relegation from the Premier League.
"Following yesterday's statement from Durham Constabulary, the club recognises that the formal legal process must take its course and while our position remains unchanged, we will keep the matter under review," a club spokesman said.
"Adam Johnson will remain available for selection by Sunderland AFC despite being charged with child sex offences. The club will not be making any further comment."
Former Manchester City player Johnson has played three times for the Black Cats since being arrested at his home last month. He was initially suspended by the club, only to be reinstated.
Johnson is due in court on 20 May.