XDA developer Hashcode has released an Android Open Source Project (AOSP) ROM featuring Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean), for the first generation Amazon Kindle Fire. The developer reports the ROM offers a number of the features released for the Nexus 10 and the Nexus 7. The ROM can be downloaded for an unlocked version of the Kindle Fire. For details on features that are working, check out the development page.
Kindle Fire users looking to upgrade may follow this tutorial. IBTimes UK reminds its readers it will not be held responsible for damage to the device during this procedure. We warn users to ensure the device meets the following minimum requirements.
- Ensure appropriate USB drivers are downloaded to computer and USB debugging mode enabled
- Ensure Kindle Fire is running FireFireFire Bootloader 1.4a
- Ensure device has a custom recovery, such as TWRP 2.2.x or cannibal Open Touch, installed
- Ensure all data is backed-up
- Ensure battery has at least 80 percent charge
To Install Android 4.2.1 AOSP (Jelly Bean) ROM on Kindle Fire
- Download Android 4.2.1 AOSP ROM
- Download Google apps package
- Connect device to computer using USB cable and copy downloaded files to SD card without extracting contents
- Disconnect from computer and switch device off
- Boot into Recovery mode (to do so, press Power to turn device on and press again when triangle appears on screen to enter Recovery mode)
- In Recovery, perform Nandroid backup of existing ROM (to do so, select Backup and Restore > Backup and return to main Recovery menu once action is completed)
- In recovery, perform a data wipe by selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes and return to main Recovery menu once action is completed
- Use Power to select Install Zip from SD Card and Power again to select Choose Zip from SD Card. Locate, select and confirm installation of Jelly Bean ROM from SD card
- After installation, repeat above selection and installation procedure for Google apps package
- After installation, repeat data wipe
- Return to main Recovery menu and select Reboot System Now (first reboot may take some time)
- Note: To return to previous ROM, boot into Recovery, select Backup and Restore > Restore and choose ROM from list
The AOSP ROM, based on Android 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean) has now been installed on the Amazon Kindle Fire. Browse to Settings > About Tablet to confirm installation.
[Source: Android Jinn]