A British backpacker and her Canadian friend were found dead in a Cambodian hostel after reportedly taking taken over-the-counter tablets for an upset stomach.

Natalie Jade Seymour, 22, from Shefford, Bedfordshire, and Canadian, Abbey Gail Amisola, 27, from Winnipeg, were reportedly suffering from symptoms similar to a stomach upset on the night of their deaths.

They were found dead on Tuesday (14 November) at the Monkey Republic Guest House in the south-western city of Kampot.

Cambodian authorities are now investigating their deaths and Cambodia's Department of Immigration said preliminary investigations had found that they had been suffering from diarrhoea and vomiting, reported MailOnline.

It was reported that after complaining of illness they decided to try and sleep it off.

Tragically staff at the hostel found them unresponsive a few hours later and the pair were taken to Kampot provincial hospital, but they could not be revived.

Natalie's mum Wendy Bowler, 60, told the Mirror that she last spoke to her daughter via Whatsapp, and she had complained of food poisoning.

She said: "My daughter had already told me she wasn't well and said she might go and get something to make her feel better.

"The hotel manager was going up and down with drinks and told them they should go to a medical centre.

"They decided to sleep it off but never woke up again... At the minute, bodies are in the morgue and they'll be sent over but it could take up to three days.

"I don't know if they'll want an autopsy to determine cause of death, because nobody knows."

Natalie had posted pictures to her social media account just three days ago when she visited the idyllic island of Koh Thonsáy.

Other pictures show her travelling across Indonesia, including trips to Bali and Gili Trawangan.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) confirmed it was supporting the family of a British woman who had died and was in contact with Cambodian authorities investigating her death.

A forensic examination is being prepared to determine the exact cause of death of the two women, who met last year in Bali.