Danny Simpson
Danny Simpson poses with the Premier League Trophy after the Barclays Premier League match between Leicester City and Everton Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

Leicester City footballer Danny Simpson will miss part of his team's title-winning celebrations after being ordered to serve a curfew for assaulting his girlfriend. Simpson will no longer have to complete unpaid work, ordered by a magistrate at an earlier hearing, due to repeated press intrusion.

At a court hearing in May 2015, the 29-year-old denied strangling the mother of his child, Stephanie Ward, but was convicted and fined £31,000 and ordered to complete 300 hours of unpaid work. After completing half of his sentence he then applied to have Manchester Magistrates' Court revoke the rest of his sentence and allow him to pay a fine instead.

Simpson's lawyer, Gary Ryan, said that journalists had found where he was carrying out his community service on two occasions making it impossible for him to complete it. District Judge Alexandra Simmonds agreed and ruled that the Premier League winner should serve a curfew.

The ruling means that Simpson must wear an electronic tag and stay indoors at his home in Salford between 10pm and 6am for the next 21 days. That means that he will miss an end-of-season bash in London after Leicester's last game against Chelsea and a trip to Thailand with the club's owners a couple of days later.

Ryan asked if the millionaire right-back could instead pay a fine but the judge refused saying a fine would be "no punishment", given his financial position. Judge Simmonds told Simpson he must begin his curfew straight away according to Sky News.

She said: "The purpose of the order is to restrict the liberty of Mr Simpson as punishment for the offence for which he was convicted. This was an offence of domestic violence and the courts take domestic violence very seriously. You will have to serve your sentence. You will need to be in tonight at 10pm."

The former Newcastle and QPR defender began working in an Age UK charity shop in Eccles, as part of his unpaid work, and was spotted parking his £200,000 Lamborghini round the corner. The placement was then suspended after press photographers turned up.

He then worked at the HQ of Purple Futures, working with people with learning difficulties, until his identity was discovered by the press again.