Mick Philpott and wife Mairead
Parents Mick and Mairead Philpott, remanded in custody charged with their children's murders, will not attend funeral service YouTube

Mick and Mairead Philpott, parents of six children who were killed in a fire at their house, were arrested and charged with murder. The couple are due to appear before Southern Derbyshire magistrates court.

According to the police, the fire broke out after petrol was poured through the letterbox on the front door of the family's home in Victory Road, Allenton, Derby, on May 11.

Six of the couple's children, aged between five and 13, were killed in the blaze tragedy.

The children were asleep in their beds on the first floor of the house when the fire broke out. Jade Philpott, 10, and brothers John, nine, Jack, eight, Jesse, six, and five-year-old Jayden were killed at the house itself. Their elder brother Duwayne, 13, died in hospital after battling for his life for several days. His life support machine was switched off and his organs were donated to children needing transplants.

"Following the appeal yesterday, a number of people have come forward with more information, but I want to stress that the two charges this evening should not be seen as the end of the investigation," said Derbyshire Police Assistant Chief Constable Steve Cotterill, who is leading the investigation.

"We are determined to get to the truth of what happened and still want people to speak to us to tell us what they know about this tragedy," Cotterill added.

The police are investigating the fire as "suspicious" and believe that it was started deliberately.

The tragedy aroused public sympathy and local residents contributed money toward the children's funeral services. The police had also praised Mick Philpott for his valiant efforts to save the children.

Earlier, a 28-year-old woman and a 38-year-old man, both from Derby, were held by officers as part of the investigation, but later released after questioning.

Ever since the tragedy occurred, Mick Philpott, 55, and 31-year-old Mairead maintained their innocence and even broke down in tears during a press conference on 16 May.