The iPhone Dev Team has followed its announcement on a major update for RedSn0w 0.9.15b1 (for A4 devices - the iPhone 4, the iPhone 3GS and the iPod Touch 4G) with an update for RedSn0w 0.9.15b2. This update is believed to include bug fixes for the iPhone 3Gs.
A blog post reads: "Version 0.9.15b2 fixes a few issues for 3GS owners: old-bootrom awesomeness is no longer forgotten directly after a restore, and iPad baseband upgrade /downgrade support is fixed (same production date cutoffs apply!). If your 3GS is currently tethered at 6.0 even though you have an old bootrom, just re-run redsn0w's jailbreak step (no need to restores). Don't forget you can add some pizzaz with your own boot logo or a nerdy verbose boot."
IBTimes UK reminds readers it will not be held responsible for damage to the device during installation. Ensure you have backed-up all important data and the battery of the device carries at least 80 percent charge.
To Downgrade iPod Touch 4G from iOS 6 to iOS 5.x
- Download the latest version of RedSn0w 0.9.15b2 (Windows / Mac)
- Download firmware for desired iOS version and present firmware from here
- Create a folder - Pwnage - on desktop of PC/Mac and copy downloaded files to folder
- Now extract files from RedSn0w zip
- For Windows - right click or control-click RedSn0w application from folder and Run as Administrator
- For Mac - double click zip file to extract and right click or control-click and select Open
- In RedSn0w, follow this path from the main menu - Extra > Even more > Restore
- Click IPSW from Restore menu, select IPSW to restore and Open
- RedSn0w will prompt for Pwned DFU Mode for restoration. Confirm this
- Connect device to computer and switch if off. Now click Next
- Follow on-screen instructions to enter DFU mode
- Hold Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds
- Release Power while holding Home until RedSn0w detects device
- The iPod will now be exploited with limera1n
- RedSn0w will check Cydia for appropriate blobs. If programme fails to locate blobs, choose between Remote and Local to re-try or manual search for blobs, respectively
- RedSn0w will now prepare a system restore image
- The chosen firmware will now be restored and RedSn0w will prompt after successfully completing task